How do I secure my wood collar to my Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddzio

Reaction score
I have a nice hardwood collar that I built for my Keezer. The guide I read had you removing the weather stripping and mounting the collar using those holes. The guide used a freezer that has the weather stripping mounted to the freezer itself, my freezer has the weather stripping on the lid. Can I just use construction adhesive to glue the collar to the freezer body, or do I need to get really long screws of some type?
Thanks!

do not use screws, you could possibly puncture the refrigerant lines.

I uses some scrap metal plates on the back to attach to the existing hinge holes. I also used some silicone sealant in between. Then on the front I found a way to secure the collar to the existing lock latch hole that was there. No issues so far.

Many people have great success using liquid nails to attach the collar to the lid or freezer.

is it better to secure the lid to the collar or the collar to the freezer? im building the collar right now and i was thinking of just sealing the collar to the freezer and attaching the lid to the collar leaving the lid functional like it is. what would you guys recommend?

I am attaching mine to the body of the freezer, less mass to open and close, and you don't have to worry about getting the lid with the collar on it to settle correctly.

Silcone caulking works great.

Many just adhere the collar to the freezer. However if you are willing to spend a bit more time, the collar to the lid idea is actually a better one IMO. If you go that route when you lift the lid/collar it pulls all of the lines out of the way making it less likely you'll bump a faucet shank or something with a keg.

Silcone caulking works great.

Many just adhere the collar to the freezer. However if you are willing to spend a bit more time, the collar to the lid idea is actually a better one IMO. If you go that route when you lift the lid/collar it pulls all of the lines out of the way making it less likely you'll bump a faucet shank or something with a keg.

i like that but i think ill stick with the collar attached to the freezer. i have seen many photos showing what your meaning and they do look great. my worry is im using 2by10in oak so its really heavy. i think it would be alot of stress on the hinges. and more work. lol.

my lid hinges are long enough that one set of screws are into the collar and the other set is in the freezer. I also used silicone caulking to seal it up... it doesnt move

Latest posts

Back