Diacetyl Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So after 10 days in primary @ 52°F, I pulled out my two batches of pilsener to room temp (62°F) for a good rest. There was increased activity, I know some of this is just CO2 coming out of solution due to temp change, but it's kept on going beyond that. My question is, how long should I keep it at room temp for the diacetyl rest? Also, once it's done resting, what's the best way to get it down to lagering temps, throw it in a cold fridge, or do it gradually? Ok, that's all.. thanks.

omniscientomar said:
So after 10 days in primary @ 52°F, I pulled out my two batches of pilsener to room temp (62°F) for a good rest. There was increased activity, I know some of this is just CO2 coming out of solution due to temp change, but it's kept on going beyond that. My question is, how long should I keep it at room temp for the diacetyl rest? Also, once it's done resting, what's the best way to get it down to lagering temps, throw it in a cold fridge, or do it gradually? Ok, that's all.. thanks.

Does the beer have any buttery taste to it? if not the diacetyl rest is over. The best way to get it down to lagering temp is gradually (about 1-2 F/day). If you can't do that make sure your fermentation is done b/c the yeast is likely to stop working if you shock them into lagering.

Kai

Kaiser said:
Does the beer have any buttery taste to it? if not the diacetyl rest is over. The best way to get it down to lagering temp is gradually (about 1-2 F/day). If you can't do that make sure your fermentation is done b/c the yeast is likely to stop working if you shock them into lagering.

Kai

I do have a temp controller on my fridge so that shouldn't be a problem, so if I transfer the beer into kegs now, and start dropping the temp for lagering, in two months, will there be enough trub at the bottom of the keg that I should tranfer again or will it be ok to serve from that same keg?

Sounds good... That's what I'll do. I guess it's time to buy more equipment. I'm trying to have 20 Gallons of beer for my big yearly Mardi Gras party.... 10g of pilsener, 10g of pale ale....

ooh, ok, one more question about this: I'll probably be racking it so 2ndary today or tomorrow, should I add gelatin to clear it up when I rack or wait until I keg it?

Carboy or keg, either works fine. I use kegs since they fit the lagering space of my fridge (former the freezer compartment of a side-by side fridge), I can naturally carobate during secondary/lagering and can easily rack w/o exposing the finished beer to O2.

omniscientomar said:
I do have a temp controller on my fridge so that shouldn't be a problem, so if I transfer the beer into kegs now, and start dropping the temp for lagering, in two months, will there be enough trub at the bottom of the keg that I should tranfer again or will it be ok to serve from that same keg?

Yes, rack to a serving keg once the lagering is done.

Kai

Back