a couple of yeast washing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I have washed (rinsed) yeast a couple of times and I have some issues I have been trying to work out (forgive me if I'm being stupid) -

If I washed yeast with a bottle of distilled water that would be less safe than using boiled and cooled water.

as containers go I would really like to find some container that is a stainless steel so I could just heat sanitize (I have been thinking about a ss shaker, if there is such a thing)

thanks for any help!

I am not certain about the distilled water question. As long as it is boiled and cooled it will assist to separate the yeast and trub.

I would just use ball jars for yeast storage. If you want stainless, get some ss unpainted drinking water bottles. I do though wonder about the screw tops as the pressure may build inside the container.

That is why I like the lids on a ball jar. I just lightly screw the top on.

Besides sanitizing, the boiling removes the oxygen from the water which helps keep the yeast asleep.

As the yeast age, the color gets darker. It's a good way to get an read on the quality and if they are past their prime. Stainless would leave you kind of in the dark in terms of what you've got.

I use the ball canning jars. I'll boil them and the water and "can" it for when I want to wash.

I am getting ready to keg my nutcastle and I would like to wash the yeast I used, but I am unsure if I pour the liquid into a jar or if I siphon into the jar. Any help would be appreciated since I want to do this today!

You shake the left overs of your wort with yeast in it. Pour it into your big jar.

Yesterday I moved my washed French Saison yeast from 1 gallon jar into 2 pint jars that are 75% full of yeast each. It took me a few washings but now I have more space. Today I am washing down my recently used Belgian Wit into 1 gallon jar.

thats a good point about the oxygen I didnt think of that, thanks.

I have been using mason jars but I have been having corrosion issues with the lids while in storage (after use) so I have been using the jars only one time.

If I boil the jars do I need to keep them off of the bottom of the pot some how?

I just lay the jars on their sides in a large pot when boiling.

You can buy the lids separately from the jars and they are not too expensive.

I have used distilled water from the store, and have boiled. Just depends on how much free time you have.

When it comes to useing the yeast, When i have 60 min left in the boil i pull it out of the fridge to get it up to room temp...after i am cooled to 70 degrees and ready to fill carboys i add some to the jar and shake the crap the out of it till every bit of the yeast is free from sticking to the jar.

Has worked like a champ for a long time.
Also, It never hurts to go to your local brewery with some sanitized jars and ask if they have any extra yeast...I have gotten lucky a few times.

Latest posts

Back