Force carbing a belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpogo

Reaction score
Most of the beers I've made and have force carbed I just set at 11psi and forget about them leaving them at 11psi through serving them.

I just finished a Belgian, AHS Dutch Magic Castle and I think to fit to the style I should be giving this more gas. Does 15psi @ 43F sound alright and to style? Can I later serve it on 11psi?

I also made a Belgian Wit, should I be giving this more gas as well?

I'd try 12 PSI for carbing/serving at first; Since you're force carbing, you can always up the PSI or lower it (keep bleeding)!

It's hard balancing your lines at start up, or serving a new style of beer- do a search on 'beer line length calculator' I think it is; has good chart for different styles of beers and CO2 volumes, and gives you calculations based on your line lengths for serving (there's another one I can't remember what it's titled; too lazy to search). Hope this helps!

you can carb at 15 and then turn it down to serve but you you might get some foaming unless you bleed the keg. also you'll have to remember to turn it back up once you're done serving.

i just got a longer serving line that i use for belgians and hefes. much less hassle.

I'm brewing a Wit in a few weeks and looked up the typical carbonation levels. It looks like they are best served with 2.5 to 3 volumes of CO2.

I have a double regulator, with one out port connected to a 4-way manifold. The other port on the regulator is what I was planning to use for belgians.

Thanks for the advice on that calculator, I'll have to try and find that.

Back