Help with cloning a Pinkus Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I would love anyone's advice on cloning a Pinkus hefeweizen. This, to me, is so much different than most German hefeweizen beers. The yeast seems more American in its minimal banana and clove smokiness. Anyone ever tried to replicate it?

my guess is that the recipe looks like:

5 gallon batch:

6 lb organic wheat malt
4 lb organic pilsner malt

20 grams organic Tradition @ 60
05 grams organic Tradition @ 15

Pinkus malts and hops come from Bioland and Demeter.

(if Tradition isn't the right hop, other possibilities that Pinkus can use are: Perle and Tettnanger)

as yeast i would bottle harvest from the sediment, or i could ask the brewmaster for yeast since i'm living only 7 miles away (need to do that).

i'm going to try that recipe before summer, we'll see how it turns out.

if anyone got some tweaks to the recipe, please jump in.

cheers jan

A review at Roger Protz visits Pinkus Muller lists tettnanger hops for the Pinkus Hefe. I am going to try to collect the yeast from a few bottles and try a 60/40 Wheat/Barley regiment and see how it comes out. Their hefe sure has a different flavor. I am hoping this is from the yeast. I let you know how it turns out.

A review at Roger Protz visits Pinkus Muller lists tettnanger hops for the Pinkus Hefe. I am going to try to collect the yeast from a few bottles and try a 60/40 Wheat/Barley regiment and see how it comes out. Their hefe sure has a different flavor. I am hoping this is from the yeast. I let you know how it turns out.

Looking forward...:mug:

That Pinkus Hefe is one of my favorites. I think I'm going to try it with
wyeast 3068.
Let us know how you make out with propigating the Pikus yeast.

My Pinkus yeast starter failed to take off. I am going to try it again. My local beer store is going to let me know when their next shipment comes in (try to get as fresh as possible). Being in Iowa, I don't have a clue how old the beer is when it gets here. It is fun drinking it though!!!!

Back