Keezer - Thermal images

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbrew

Reaction score
Was thinking of doing a winter project to be able to Lager come this summer. I have heard nightmare stories from folk who have drilled into their cooling channels. To date I have been sucessful in getting the gas line and thermocouple in without incident in a number of freezers and refrigs. But I thought getting a 2 in pipe in and out might be more difficult so I can pull and push the cold air from the keezer into a chiller box.

I just wanted to share some thermal images. Its quit suprising that there really aren't that many channels in those side walls after all. It should be no problem to get a 2 or 3" diameter piece of PVC into and out of the keezer. Any comments and suggestions would be welcome from those who have run into any problems.

Happy New Year to all.
BB

Freezer-side.JPG

Freezer-front.JPG

Don't overlook the evaporator coils on the inside walls of the freezer. They may not be in the exact same position as the condenser coils on the outside.

Catt,
Thanks for the suggestion. Would the evaporator coil on the inside have a signiture similar to the condenser coil. I always thought the evap coils were perpendicular to the condenser coils. Not being an HVAC guy I don't know about all these details. As usual, the devil is in them.

Mista,
We've got one at work for high temperature thermal imaging. I have been improving on my insulation of the house when I thought, this might work with the brewing project. and sure enough, the condenser coils are plane as day. As Catt22 states, I've got to look into these other coils that I wasn't even thinking about. I just wanted to draw off the extra supply from the freezer to keep lager temps in the 50F range for this coming summer. A lot of folks like my American Lager but i have been limited to doing them during the warmer seasons with out compromising my serving brew.

Thanks again Catt22 for your input.
BB

Catt,
Thanks for the suggestion. Would the evaporator coil on the inside have a signiture similar to the condenser coil. I always thought the evap coils were perpendicular to the condenser coils. Not being an HVAC guy I don't know about all these details. As usual, the devil is in them.Thanks again Catt22 for your input.
BB

Yes, AFAIK, which isn't very far at all, the pattern should be similar. Your imaging camera should reveal them if you can get it to work in the close confines of the freezer interior. I guess they would show up as as a cold pattern rather than hot, but there should be enough contrast to make them show up clearly shortly after turning the unit on while the surrounding wall is still close to room temperature. Happy to be of help. I'm not an HVAC guy either, so take that into consideration.

Back