The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(i ride the university bus to school daily and get chat with the morning driver)
so i tell him i'll get him one of my beers, and ask what he prefers. He says "import", so i give him options: something like Killians (my irish red ale) or budweiser (for lack of better description for my cream ale). He repeats "import", so i get him an irish red.

following day he says it was ok, but he prefers light beers and does not like 'ales', but it was ok. He asked me where I got it from. I said "what do you mean? Home." He asks if i brought it from my hometown, to which i reply that it came from my faucet, kettle, fermenter, and then finally my basement: my own brew. He says "darn, i just took it home and drank it warm, but didnt even drink it all. I would've chilled it had I known it was yours." :( So sad. Who drinks warm beer anyway? Needless to say, he gets no more beer. Didn't even recognize the effort.

I think he was drinking Steel Reserve.
There's a difference between too many drinks, and pounding beers. You can savor a good beer and have too many, but I wouldn't swallow a rare cut prime rib whole then break the plate over my head. That's precisely what Schlitz is for. :)

Not saying that he was right, just that AB does come in a bottle that one who isn't a beer geek could confuse as a 40oz. As far as what is, or isn't pounding, I have seen a number of people get shiatfaced on very expensive booze, easier to feel self important when it costs more.

at my wifes recent 40th b-day party, one of her friends (who brought a case of mass produced lager over) drunkenly grabbed my sister-n-law and came up to me asking me why my beer had to be so hoppy..... she learned that word from my sis-n-law who is an avid beer drinker and likes a nice hoppy beer.

i looked at her and reminded myself that her knick-name was "dipsy-doodle" and explained that i personally enjoy a bitter ale much more than a kinda bland tasting lager aka swill and walked away.

i told my wife and she laughed

at my wifes recent 40th b-day party, one of her friends (who brought a case of mass produced lager over) drunkenly grabbed my sister-n-law and came up to me asking me why my beer had to be so hoppy..... she learned that word from my sis-n-law who is an avid beer drinker and likes a nice hoppy beer.

i looked at her and reminded myself that her knick-name was "dipsy-doodle" and explained that i personally enjoy a bitter ale much more than a kinda bland tasting lager aka swill and walked away.

i told my wife and she laughed

awesome. Someone asked a legit question and you pulled EAC.

This thread is funny, nut a lot of these posts just make you guys look like beer snobs and jerks. The bolded would have been a great answer in itself.

awesome. Someone asked a legit question and you pulled EAC.

This thread is funny, nut a lot of these posts just make you guys look like beer snobs and jerks. The bolded would have been a great answer in itself.

I'm all about the EAC - LOL! I tend to not talk about my beer unless someone is really interested and leading the conversation.

I have a friend who I am starting to teach how to brew. He doesn't know much about beer; never drank in college. I think he's got a taste for decent beer, but doesn't have the vocabulary. He's stuck on the word "hops", I think. Everything is hops.

He helped me build my setup (drilled out the kettle, etc.) so I gave him a thorough "tour" of the brewing process. I think he's getting it.

When I start to tell him about the different types of beer, he asks if the hops make the difference between ales and lagers.

I show him the grain and he asks "Is that the hops?"

*smacks head*

A beer bar that I frequent quite a bit in Philly recently changed their menu. It seems they got tired of handing out a beer menu and having to tell you what got kicked that night etc so instead they now go with the chalkboard for the current list, and the menu has a style breakdown with estimated ABVs and flavor profiles etc. so you can make an educated choice.

The gf and I were enjoying some calamari and St. Louis Geuze when I overhear from the table behind us, "There are other kinds of lager?" Those of you from around Philly will understand.

Also at a recent dinner I was put in charge of the beverages, so I put out a nice Chilean Merlot, a decent Riesling, a Metheglyn from Redstone Meadery, Etienne Dupont Organic Bouche Brut Cider, and The Bruery's Saison de Lente. SWMBO's mother prompted so many head smacking moments that I can't name them all. The standout was while tasting the mead. "So this is the same as Ale right?"

Was at a party recently (sisters). In a rush so bought some Fullers ESB en route. Chatting away etc, a friend comes up and asks what is that? I give him a taste & he says" F*cking Gross man- you must have alcohol issues to be drinking that homemade sh*t".
BMC drinkers- It was store bought, one reason I dont give samples to friends. They cant appreciate what a hoppy beer tastes like

Was at a party recently (sisters). In a rush so bought some Fullers ESB en route. Chatting away etc, a friend comes up and asks what is that? I give him a taste & he says" F*cking Gross man- you must have alcohol issues to be drinking that homemade sh*t".
BMC drinkers- It was store bought, one reason I dont give samples to friends. They cant appreciate what a hoppy beer tastes like

See that is not a "beer" problem, that is a "rude" problem. Don't care if he thinks it, but why would you say that to another human being? If anyone ever deserved the EAC treatment, that guy does.

My mom said my Belgian IPA was "hypodermic needle beer" since it was so strong.

The stupidest ones were from this brewbuddy who fancied himself a real beer connoisseur. All he could ever say about a beer was it has "astringency." He loved pulling that word out of his ass to describe EVERY beer.

I just over heard people talking about beer and this is what one of them said, "I usually go for arrogant bastard. That or porters. Porters are beers that are mixed with coffee and are jet black. They're pretty exotic because they aren't made in America."

This fits somewhat into this thread.

I started off brewing with Mr Beer and the instructions tell you to add the sugar to each bottle to prime, giving you really uneven carbonation. I had a stout I was sharing with some family that was severely over carbed. As I am pouring it, trying my hardest to keep the foam down, my cousin Jesse is making fun of me because I "don't know how to pour a beer." I let him and his experience pouring beer take over for the same results.

I just over heard people talking about beer and this is what one of them said, "I usually go for arrogant bastard. That or porters. Porters are beers that are mixed with coffee and are jet black. They're pretty exotic because they aren't made in America."

I just spit out coffee on the keyboard. Good lord, people, get a clue :p

Woooooooooooow......just, wow.....that's the kind of thing if overheard you can't help but turn around and correct them and add, "what the hell are you thinking?!?!?!" :drunk:

Ok, So this kind of fits in here. My SWMBO got back from class yesterday and told me what one of her classmates asked her.
Background:
We use the stainless Klean Kanteen water bottles, about a liter I believe, and they have brewery stickers all over them.

Student: Hey, is that a kegerator?
SWMBO: Ignores this question.
Student: Hey, is that a kegerator??
SWMBO: Are you asking me something?
Student: Yea, is that a kegerator your holding.
SWMBO: Seriously? No.

That's it. Crazy how people just don't get it.
AM

a few folks at work after i mentioned that i make my own beer:

Them: so how long does it take to make a beer?
Me: anywhere from, say three weeks to a year for some.
Them: wow! i thought it would only take, like, fifteen minutes or something.

Fifteen minutes? really? Less time that it takes to boil water. nice.

Ok, So this kind of fits in here. My SWMBO got back from class yesterday and told me what one of her classmates asked her.
Background:
We use the stainless Klean Kanteen water bottles, about a liter I believe, and they have brewery stickers all over them.

Student: Hey, is that a kegerator?
SWMBO: Ignores this question.
Student: Hey, is that a kegerator??
SWMBO: Are you asking me something?
Student: Yea, is that a kegerator your holding.
SWMBO: Seriously? No.

That's it. Crazy how people just don't get it.
AM

You should post pics of it in the "Show us your kegerator" thread. :D

Yeah... you just put some dehydrated beer powder in a bottle and then add water and mix. LOL!!!

When this technique actually comes to fruition humanity will grind to a slow, drunken halt.

as soon as i perfect my technique, i'm publishing the byo article on freeze dried, microwave beer. then, hello forbes!

In regards to a foreign export stout bordering on a russian imperial stout:

"It's kind of a blend of Michelob and Miller Lite, it's good"... uh, ok.

I once gave a friend a six pack of my beer (can’t remember what style) for his birthday. To facilitate transportation I stuck them in a commercial 6-pack carton, probably Flying Dog, Red Hook, or something along those lines. He drank three of them before his daughter and son-in-law came to visit for the week-end. They got in his fridge and drank the rest. His son-in-law then ran to the store “to get more beer”, and came back with a big grin on his face and two sixers of whatever the carton was that I had stuck my beer in. My buddy ran into the kitchen in response to all the profanity that resulted when they opened the first one and realized it wasn’t the same beer (apparently they REALLY liked my beer). He explained to them that it was “Joe’s homebrew”, and laughed his butt off at them for not noticing the RC-Cola bottle caps (hey, they were cheap…) and lack of labels …... They then really started cussing when it dawned on them that they could never “go buy more”…… over a year later he says that they still call me nasty names every time he speaks to them on the phone. I put labels on ‘em now when I give beer away…..

I've noticed several people lately using the word "ale" to mean all different kinds of ambiguous things. I think I gave someone a sample of my IPA and after a sip they said "oh, so it's kind of ale-y". I realize that the word has meant different things throughout history, but I think some people associate the word with any hoppy beer, some seem to think that it is its own style of beer, and some people seem to just think any beer with flavor is ale. In the right setting I use it as an opportunity to educate, but usually the person has already used it in a manner that made it sound like they knew what they were talking about, and to correct them would only make me look like an a$$ or them look like an idiot.

twenty minutes ago while cutting slits in copper tubing for MLT.
neighbor: what're ya makin, somethin for the still? (its a running joke on my street)
me: nope, it's a manifold for draining.
neighbor: draining what?
me: draining water from grains (i try to keep it in simple terms)
neighbor: oh, sorrree, Mr. Adams.

another time at a bar during lunchtime:
Me: I'll have a newcastle
coworker: what the funck is THAT, Some ***** beer?
me: it's the best beer they have.
coworker: well I'm a man, I'll have a heinekin. So is that all you drink?
me: I make my own beer so I have to settle for something when I'm out
coworker: you make your own beer???? Oh my god, what a (word for feminine hygeine product)
me: heinekin huh? And I'm the doosh?

twenty minutes ago while cutting slits in copper tubing for MLT.
neighbor: what're ya makin, somethin for the still? (its a running joke on my street)
me: nope, it's a manifold for draining.
neighbor: draining what?
me: draining water from grains (i try to keep it in simple terms)
neighbor: oh, sorrree, Mr. Adams.

coworker: you make your own beer???? Oh my god, what a (word for feminine hygeine product)

Where do you work:

Insecure Males Incorporated?!?!?

Where do you work:

Insecure Males Incorporated?!?!?

IMI

We're deeply concerned about our masculinity...are you?​

I know some *****ebags like that back home. I came to visit and a guy (that used to be a friend of mine) got angry and quiet, mumbling (to himself so that I could hear) "why don't you cut your hair" and eventually left the table because it made him so uncomfortable.

I must be an attractive man to so deeply offend on o' them tough guys with my long hair!

:D

I think people just don't understand that there are things you can do yourself, and brewing beer is one of them. And since you do something that they have no idea about, they think you sound snobby for it. My fayher says all the time: "why you gonna makea you owna beer? I getta beer for a dollar a bottle.....and itsa a 25 ounce bottle" and I tell him "cuzza you beer tasta likea merda" (slight italian neded here) then he always tells me how he and his dad always madea theira owna wine......go figure

I think people just don't understand that there are things you can do yourself, and brewing beer is one of them. And since you do something that they have no idea about, they think you sound snobby for it. My fayher says all the time: "why you gonna makea you owna beer? I getta beer for a dollar a bottle.....and itsa a 25 ounce bottle" and I tell him "cuzza you beer tasta likea merda" (slight italian neded here) then he always tells me how he and his dad always madea theira owna wine......go figure

That's the old man I aspire to be . . . give someone a hard time for doing something and then tell them at length all about how I used to do it, too.

Old-Man-Drinking-Whiskey-and-Smoking.jpg

Again, not a beer problem, an ******* problem.

Me, to my sister: "I started brewing my own beer again. I'll bring you one when I come into town."

Sister: "Oh, great. What kind is it?"

Me: "It's an india pale ale"

Sister: "It doesn't have curry in it, does it?"

:confused:

Back