The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend's Korean nurse friend is in town and we take her to a bar. After a few rounds of margaritas with the other girls she notices SWMBO and I on our respective 3rd pints of various good beers.

She says: "Is that Guinness?"
Me: "No, it's a different type of beer. An Amber Ale (Bear Republic Red Rocket)
Her: "Looks like Guinness. Can I taste?"
[I let her taste]
Her: "Tastes like Guinness"

I gave up...later she said she wanted a lager, and we all thought it was a safe choice (lager = Yuengling in Philly)...she said it tasted like Guinness.

I slapped my forehead and SWMBO gave me the comforting "there, there. she doesn't know better'' pat on the back.

Unfortunately there's a story involving her too. She asked me a long time ago what kind of beer PBR was. I said Light Lager. She said, "Really? I can't believe that's a lager!" She grew up in Philly and it skewed her terms. She knows better now, and has brewed herself!

I was on a work trip to Portland, OR once, and was having some beer at Rogue's pub with a co-worker. He ordered something reddish, I don't remember what. He confidently informed me that red beers are red because of all the hops. "That's cool", I said and went back to drinking my beer.

Thought of another...On the tour at the Yard's brewery in Philly. Guy giving the tour has got us at the fermentation tanks and brite tanks, where he's talking about aging and sampling for a consistent product.

Some girl asks "why does it need to be consistent?"
Dude was flummoxed. He didn't even know how to answer...after going through a myriad of reasons why the beer with a certain name on it better taste the same wherever you get it from she still didn't understand, and insisted that she would buy it if it tasted different and that it would be exciting each time. It was such a mind numbing conversation that even the others on the tour were trying to convince her of her idiocy. Eventually we all just moved on and ragged on her while tasting tasty beers.

the most annoying and prevalent one i get goes kinda like this..

(a bit into a conversation with someone i have not seen in a few years or just met)

them: so what are you up to these days?
me: pretty much the same stuff still play in a band, college, I home brew my own beer now thats kinda new.
them:Cool! so does that mean you brew your own beer?

and as soon as i hear that i think NO S#!T WHAT DID I JUST SAY YOU REETEE!?

once that actually came out though that was funny

I was on a work trip to Portland, OR once, and was having some beer at Rogue's pub with a co-worker. He ordered something reddish, I don't remember what. He confidently informed me that red beers are red because of all the hops. "That's cool", I said and went back to drinking my beer.

I lol'd :D

"ugh... this doesn't taste anything like Bud Light"

(reaction to a double IPA I made)

After that I took the beer from him & finished it myself... didn't want it going to waste

I had a couple of friends look at each other and bust up laughing when I mentioned I needed to dry hop one of my batches. When they noticed I didn't think it was funny, one of them goes "you wanna dry hump one of your bitches?". Har har.

my friend thinks he's a beer expert after taking a brewery tour. his most used fact is that there are two types of beers; ales and lagers.

he just finished a keg of a local amber vienna lager. he comments:

"I like lagers, but I can't drink a lot of them. I like ales; I can drink ales all day long."

really? you can drink barleywines, RIS's, DIPA's all day long?

to each his own, but to me, lagers have far more drinkability than ales. generally speaking.

Okay, this is not a negative comment but I just got back from my friends place. I had brought him my IIPA to try. He opened the bottle and it started foaming over the top (think it was getting knocked around in my car or something, it isn't green or anything), his instinct reaction was to sip the foam before it fell out of the bottle. He slurps up foam and immediately starts coughing for a good 10-20 seconds and says "Holy ****! *cough cough* I just got pwnd by hops *cough cough*" I laughed so hard, it was so great. This was the beer he drank (12oz of hops):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/best-lacing-all-time-160477/

No such things as stupid comments, just stupid people who make comments...

Me to a friend: You really shouldn't drink that out of the bottle.
Friend: There is no label, I want people to ask me what it is.
Me: What is it?
Friend: Your homemade cider.

"It's a great beer, just a little too hoppy for my taste."

My 2 Below clone. 6.6% ABV, 25 IBU. :rolleyes:

At Christmas I gave out some bottles of a Brown Ale that I added some Cherry Whiskey to. It was sweet and not too much bitterness. The nuttyness of the Brown went well with the cherry. The hops were almost lost in it. Next time I would add more hops, not a lot more but some.

My boss who only drinks Grolsch - "It was good but a little too bitter."

I didn't expect him to like it at all. I only gave him a bottle because he supplies me with all his empty swing top bottles.

No such things as stupid comments, just stupid people who make comments...
Ah-men!

"It's a great beer, just a little too hoppy for my taste."

My 2 Below clone. 6.6% ABV, 25 IBU. :rolleyes:
Of corse it's too hoppy!*

*Statement based on the beer he's used to drinking that is "triple hopped" according to their ads....that means one hop pellate placed in the wort at three seperate periods.

One of my friends who is a BMC drinker became convinced that somebody had drugged him after he drank a pint of my Belgian quad. I'm pretty sure he'd never had anything over about 6% ABV before then, and the Belgian was about 12.4%.

A friend was having a beer tasting party for his b-day, and he likes high gravity beers, so I brought some of my higher gravity homebrews along with some commercial stuff. A guy I'd never met before was joining in on the tasting, and when I asked him what he thought of my brew, he said "I don't know, all of these beers just have sooooo much flavor." He said the word flavor like it was the worst thing in the world, and several of us couldn't help but laugh. I found out later that he was the one who brought Bud Light to the tasting.

On my 1st and 2nd batches
Them:You brewed this?
Me: Yup, its not hard
Them: Why's there no label on the bottle?
Me: Cause i brewed it.
Them: Are you opening up a brewery?

Well, now I know what to tell people when they ask how it is made. Put the grain/hops/yeast and water in the bathtub. Mash by stomping around in it, turn on the shower to lauter then pull the plug and bottle by using the special valve on the "pee-trap". Won't have to share any when I'm done explaining that.... :rockin:

WOW! I'm stealing this idea!:rockin:

"Hmmm, tastes like blue moon", when I handed my neighbor an English pale ale. Grrr...at least she liked it, but gosh darn it, why can't I have neighbors that appreciate good beer. I have friends from from work that actually know something about beer, but I don't hang out with them outside of work that often.

"Hmmm, tastes like blue moon", when I handed my neighbor an English pale ale. Grrr...at least she liked it, but gosh darn it, why can't I have neighbors that appreciate good beer. I have friends from from work that actually know something about beer, but I don't hang out with them outside of work that often.

i'll come over and intellectually drink your beer!

i took a few to a freind last night and he said tastes good,kinda tastes like a sam adams or that style of beer(its a scottish light ale)and drank that glass poured the rest of the bottle in the glass drank it half way down then proceded to pour a natural icelight into and mix with my homebrew i gave him!he gets no more of my beer ever!

i took a few to a freind last night and he said tastes good,kinda tastes like a sam adams or that style of beer(its a scottish light ale)and drank that glass poured the rest of the bottle in the glass drank it half way down then proceded to pour a natural icelight into and mix with my homebrew i gave him!he gets no more of my beer ever!

You know, if all I had left at my disposal to drink was natty ice (which I wouldn't even drink) and I knew I was going to keep on drinking, I'd rather try to do the same thing he did in hope to give the natty SOME flavor profile than have to drink a whole natty by itself :|.

This is my favorite thread on HBT. Fortunately, I've escaped having experiences like this. I went to a small college that was a block away from a microbrewery, and I still live nearby, so most of my friends are at least not shocked by flavor in a beer. They've actually seemed to enjoy my first batch more than I have.

I was buying a couple 22 oz. bottles of Arrogant Bastard at a grocery store the other day...

Check out guy: "My brother says that stuff tastes like S#!&, but it will get you f-ed up really fast!"

Me: "Yeah, it is stronger than your typical beer. One of these has about the same amount of alcohol as 3 bottles of bud light, but I'm actually buying them because I like the taste!"

Check out guy: *silence, and a confused look on his face*

My buddy: the hops in the beer give it more alcohol

Me: no, hops are for bittering, taste, and aroma

My buddy: no, the hops give the beer alcohol

Me: *introduces buddy to Google*

My buddy: ooohhhhhhhh ok

I was buying a couple 22 oz. bottles of Arrogant Bastard at a grocery store the other day...

Check out guy: "My brother says that stuff tastes like S#!&, but it will get you f-ed up really fast!"

Me: "Yeah, it is stronger than your typical beer. One of these has about the same amount of alcohol as 3 bottles of bud light, but I'm actually buying them because I like the taste!"

Check out guy: *silence, and a confused look on his face*

maybe he thought it was "a 40", since it's a big bottle.

my buddy tried my basic robust porter last night.

"This is great. kind of tastes like kalamata olive."

"uh, what?"

"maybe it's lemon...."

:confused:

Not a comment on my beer but a funny story the same.

We were at a bar in Erie, PA that serves Voodoo Beer, brewed in Meadville, PA. My friend Leslie asks me which one she should order and I tell her to get the 'Gran Met,' an 11% Belgian Strong Ale that runs $10 for a 22 oz bottle.

The Bartender: "Oh, you'll like this beer, it's just like Blue Moon."
Me (interrupting): "No it isn't."
Bartender: "Sure it is." He picks out a Blue Moon from the cooler and sets it on the bar next to the Gran Met and points to the bottles. "See, it says Belgian Style Ale on both of them!"
Me: "Belgium has the widest diversity of beer on the planet!"

I was not trying to be a dick about it but if I was sitting at the bar drinking Blue Moon and I said "Wow, this is great. Do you have anything else like it?" And he talked me into buying a $10 11% ABV beer that is NOTHING like Blue Moon, I would be pissed.

With some friends of a friend. They were drinking Mickey's, claiming it was the best beer ever made. I let them try my oatmeal stout and IIPA. They said "ugh, this stuff is gross; Mickey's is wayyy better". I raged hard inside, but I knew their level of intellect and experience was some kind of abyss of ignorance, so I just made sure they didn't get any more of my brews. One or two of the people out of the group really liked it and I gave them a run-down of what the beers were, what is in them, the style, and compared it to Mickeys to show them the difference. I think it was wayyy over their head because I think I scared them away. I wasn't being pushy, just giving background. They stuck to Mickeys.

My buddy: the hops in the beer give it more alcohol

Me: no, hops are for bittering, taste, and aroma

My buddy: no, the hops give the beer alcohol

Me: *introduces buddy to Google*

My buddy: ooohhhhhhhh ok

+1, had exact conversation minus the google kicker. Where do people get this idea? What do they think wine is made of?

Dad: whew buddy that's got some kind of twang to it. I can't drink that stuff. (Siberian Night). Why don't u make me some busch.
That is good stuff. My wife fell in love when we found it in Piqua.

+1, had exact conversation minus the google kicker. Where do people get this idea? What do they think wine is made of?
Grape Hops duh. They're the leaves that grow with the grapes :D

Dad: whew buddy that's got some kind of twang to it. I can't drink that stuff. (Siberian Night). Why don't u make me some busch.

I just came up with the perfect response, but it only applies if you're eating burgers or something that the person made (especially good if he is proud of his burgers):

These burgers are okay, but why don't you make some McDonald's? I could really go for one of those...

At a chocolate and beer tasting on valentine's day, the guy next to me, who says he wants to get into brewing, had a pretty funny comment. We were tasting something (honestly can't remember, maybe John John Dead Guy from rogue?) It went something like this:

Guy: This reminds of of that fishbladder beer
Me and others: huh?
Guy: Well, in germany, there are some beers that they use fishbladder in to clear them up. This tastes just like that! It has that fishbladder taste
Me and others: uh huh.

----
I've never used it, but isinglass doesn't taste like anything, right?

Latest posts

Back