Yeast washing amount question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I really want to wash my WLP 500 yeast (trappist ale), but I don't have a lot of room to store and/or I don't brew that often. So if I were to wash the yeast, how many mason jars (assuming I use the smaller ones) would I need to be able to brew another batch by making a stepped-up starter. I guess my question is how many containers do I need, like the ones in the wiki, to get the same amount of yeast that comes in the actual white labs tube?

Thanks!

Jason

One mason jar should be enough to fire-up a starter...

If you are concerned with room to store it, once the mason jar settles clear (as depicted in the yeast washing how-to thread that is stickied) with the yeast sediment on bottom, you may somehow actually be able to transfer it to a vile with just a little bit of the wort. Carefully decant the clear brown liquid, swirl the rest, put in sanitized tube.

I have the same concern with yeast washing (SWMBO doesn't want 4, 6, or 10 mason jars of yeast in the fridge. I've never washed yet, but will wash my Abbey Ale yeast if I don't pitch on the cake twice (as planned). If I do wash, I will transfer to viles after a few mason jars settle...

I have used a 50mL tube to store yeast, a very thick slurry. Pitched that into a 1L starter and got a very healthy, active fermentation.

aekdbbop said:
about how long does yeast last after being washed and refrigerated?

this question is always asked, and I believe the consensus is a couple of months, but people have kept them for over a year and made fantastic beer. So I guess you can keep them as long as you want, and just make sure they "wake" back up in your starter before pitching into the wort. I think the main thing is to be extremely sanitary!

Jason

Back