Question for Nerds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I buy CO2 at around 75 degrees, it plummets to somewhere in the 500's in my 35-degree freezer.

If you plug it into Gay-Lussac's Law, which assumes a constant volume of gas, you get a much smaller drop.

So what's the story?

The web says CO2 tanks contain liquid CO2, so I guess the answer is that a whole bunch of CO2 condenses, increasing the volume of the gas and lowering the pressure.

Bonus question: how do we know the earth to be banana-shaped?

~500+something PSI is pretty much on target for a dispensing system temperature...
1699132567883.png

Cheers!

Easy answer: stop having your co2 tank in the kegerator like a lil' b1tch and put on your big boy pants like us else who have it outside.
Wow, somebody must be hitting the tripel today.

If you put the bottle outside the keezer, the warm expanded CO2 in the bottle will shrink when it goes into the keezer, so it will be just like having the bottle inside the keezer, only it will look bad and be in the way, not to mention giving my parrot one more thing to chew on and destroy.

I'm not complaining about the pressure, since it makes no difference. Just wondering why the drop is so big. I think condensation has to be the explanation.

I guess I should have pointed out that it's not an important question. Just interesting.

The lil b1tchness and having the co2 tank outside is not mutually exclusive but there is a correlation imo.
On a serious note though I read somewhere that regulators are more reliable when they and the gas they regulate are at room-like temps.

Back