Took the plunge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkwolf

Reaction score
After being a die-hard charcoal aficionado most of my life, a few years ago I broke down and bought a gas grill (convenience factor... I still swear by charcoal as the better option).

Well, because of various time constraints, my charcoal offset firebox smoker hasn't been used more than two or three times in the last three YEARS (and so far this year, is still a mile away in my storage unit). So last week I broke down and ordered a Bradley. UPS was Johnny-on-the-spot, and even though I had ordered it late Monday afternoon (and Cabelas didn't get around to shipping it until Tuesday PM), they had it on my driveway shortly after 5:00 on Wednesday - just in time to enjoy for the 4th. Went "easy" for the first cook on it, just smoked a couple polish kielbasas and a brick of pepperjack cheese (placed in a foil pan and smoked along with the sausage) over apple wood for about four hours.

VERY happy with the purchase, kind of wish I had done it earlier. And it just happened that the local grocery store is having a sale on frozen boneless pork loin - $1.79/lb for a whole loin.

Went 'cheap' on the smoker purchase, got the original 4-rack instead of the digital model, but I have full intent on ordering an aftermarket PID controller in the next couple weeks -- definitely before I try something like a brisket - something I had never had the time (or guts) to try on my old smoker.

My neighbors are going to hate me :)

I did a gas smoker, I parallel brew / smoke and didn't want to fiddle with it all the time. It makes for great BBQ, and I've had lots of great BBQ lived in the South for 10y.

Share some Pork BBQ Sandwiches with the neighbors, accompanied by homebrew- will buy lots of good will.

I did a gas smoker, I parallel brew / smoke and didn't want to fiddle with it all the time. It makes for great BBQ, and I've had lots of great BBQ lived in the South for 10y.

Share some Pork BBQ Sandwiches with the neighbors, accompanied by homebrew- will buy lots of good will.
I live in a cul-de-sac; 5 houses (one of them vacant). We've talked about parking my pickup across the entrance to the circle, and having a big arse "block party" some night this summer. Thinking I'll have the gas grill, charcoal grill/smoker, Bradley, and the turkey fryer going (either doing fries/onion rings, or have a sweet corn boil)

I got an original Bradley smoker that I have been using for a while now. I have loaded it up with 15# of meet on multiple occasions. I have made just about anything you can imagine with it. Works great every time. Never once had something not turn out with it. I have had people offer to pay me to make them some ribs on it. If you ever do something like a brisket on it just remember that just because it takes 12 hours to cook it doesn't need 12 hours of the smoking disks. Only real problem I had with it was using it in cold weather. I ended up building a small charcoal fire in mine one day in order to get the temperature high enough to actually cook my meat. Everything tasted good in the end though.

Back