Yet another house question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
This is a bit less technical and more of opinions. I just paid a tad over 20k for new roof and gutters for my house. Dry rot on parts of the roof increased the price a bit more than I thought, but no need for debate on cost as I got three bids and they were all within 2k of each other, so I went with the family owned local company that has been doing roofs in the area for a long time. Long story short, they did not replace the chimney pan as the job foreman was not told by the office that it needed to be done. So, I went up and looked at it, and while it is rusty (I live in the San Francisco area, so fog and damp weather is common year round) it had not rusted thru and most is just surface rust that I can see. My question to those in the know, is there something I can either paint on or spray on that will neutralize the rust and give it a nice seal for the prevention of future issues? I know nothing lasts forever and I also know that Rustoleum has a product they say works, but I am looking for any experiences you all may have had with any products. I also know that Eastwood has a product for cars that is supposed to be really good. So any input would be fantastic. Rock On!!!!!!!!

Not sure what the pan material is but if it’s mild steel and rusting POR-15 is pretty good stuff. Good prep with their solvent helps a lot to ensure good results. The regular coating needs UV protection, usually in the form of a top coat of paint, but that might just be for looks. Im pretty sure the website has guidance on that and they might have a UV resistant formula as well.
Good luck and be careful up there.

Back