Morning Brew Sweet Sout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyobow

Reaction score
First try at a AG stout recipe , how's it look ? An
  1. 8.25 lbs pale malt 2 row
  2. 1 lbs flaked barley
  3. 1 lbs flaked oats
  4. 1 lbs roasted barley
  5. .75 lbs cara-pils/dextrine
  6. .5 lbs caramel/crystal malt-40l
  7. .5 lbs chocolate malt
  8. .5 oz chinook (13%)60 min
  9. .5 oz challenger (7.5%) 40 min
  10. .75 lbs lactose 20 min
  11. 1 pkg safale english ale yeast #s-04
  12. 2 cups cold brewed coffee to secondary

What are you looking for exactly? How much coffee character? How sweet? Any particular flavors or attributes you want? Your recipe as is will make a fine beer, but I can’t know if it will be exactly what you are looking for.

If you want something creamy/sweet I would go with a more neutral bittering hop than Chinook (pretty much anything else). What are you trying to get from the Challenger addition?

I also like darker crystal malts in stouts, maybe a caramunich, or crystal 80, something like that (even a blend of a medium and something really dark like 120 or special B if you want some dark fruit character).

I might hold off on the lactose until the beer ferments out. You can always add more/less depending on how it tastes.

Good luck.

More of a slightly sweet ,with a pronounced coffee flavor. As far as the hops , I'm open to suggestions, as I said this is my first try at this. Thanks.

First, a full pound of roasted barley is a bit much for a sweet stout. I'd drop that to 1/2 pound tops. Also, I'd go with an even pound of lactose. Going with a darker crystal may not be a bad idea as previously mentioned. I think the Chinook hops are alright but the Challenger does seem out of place. Lastly, I'm not sure your going to get much from 2 cups of coffee, although I've admittedly never brewed a coffee stout before.

Latest posts

Back