Additions to a port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wing Nut

Reaction score
So I like a little port now and then, I found the winexpert port kit a while back and made it. It is currently in the clearing stages and was thinking of making a more flavorfull and authentic port. I was thinking of buying some oak chips and soaking them in a bit of brandy for a week or two. Then I would take the oak chips and brandy mixture to topoff the carboy after it has finished clearing.

What are your thoughts or suggestions? Chips or cubes?

Cheers
Wing nut

From what little I have read, IE: I don't know, never done it etc.
The chips give a stronger flavour because there is more surface contract, the cubes are less but "they say a more pure taste" depending on contact time, blah, blah.
I'm not sure who "They" are, but being me, I would do two 1 gal batches in all the methods you can think of, and time will tell.
You never really know until your prove it to yourself, even then I'm sure I'm wrong in someone's book.
And if you do, please let me know.

Hello wingnut: As to the chips or cubes, I've never used either, but I've used oak spirals from Midwest (www.midwestsupplies.com) and just boiled them in water for 5 minutes before adding to the carbouy. They work quickly as there is somthing like 10X the surface area. There was noticable oak flavor in only 5 weeks. I didn't need to use a hop bag either, just a foot long piece of nylon thread to tie them off with for easy retrieval later. Regards, GF. :)

Back