Year-Aged Big Beers: Fermenter/Bottling Schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
I'm putting together an English bragot next Saturday. This will be my second AG recipe and highest ABV to date (expecting 10-11%). It's the recipe from Radical Brewing, with a bit of wormwood for bitterness/oldtiminess. Using liquid Wyeast 1986 English yeast.

The actual times recommended for storage is 8-12 months but I'm not sure how this is divided for high ABV beers: should I do a 1 month primary and then keep it in a glass secondary for 11 months and then bottle? Or do a standard but longer primary/secondary and then just keep it in bottles for a year?

I'll be 'dry hopping' with all the spices and herbs as well (pepper, ginger, etc.) so I'm not sure if that affects the scheduling. Seems to be a fine line between dispersing flavor and just rotting at the bottom of a carboy.

I can't speak to your recipe, but I brewed an imperial nut brown ale at 8.66% ABV, and this is what I did:

Primary for ~4 weeks
Secondary for ~4 months
Bottle for ~3 months before trying the first one.

Incidentally... it was pretty good at 8 months, post brew, but the recipe told me it would be good at six months, great at nine, and amazing at a year. A bottle at a little over nine months was indeed better than the one at eight; I'm pretty much leaving it alone until I hit that year mark.

Ha I actually just setup an imperial nut brown the other day so I'll use your advice for that as well. Thank you.

Probably something like Homebrewdad's schedule. 1 month in primary, rack to secondary for 4-6 months, add fresh yeast and bottle condition/carb for the rest of the time.

Back