Best alternative to stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I have a buddy who will fabricate my brew stand for me but he said his shop (at home) isn't set up to cut/weld stainless. What is my next best option? He suggested aluminum and painting it...??

There's a LOT of posts of people using mild steel for their stands. It's easy to cut, has more welding option, and won't bust your budget when you go to get the material. I wouldn't use aluminum mostly due to how it will probably warp over time (ever see an old aluminum body gas grill?)...

Just make sure you get material rated for the amount of weight that will be going on it. If anything, figure out how much your current vessels weigh (when filled to the max) and then double it. Do the same if you plan to increase the batch size in the next few years to go for the higher level.

Stainless is nice and shinny but other then that who cares. A plain steel frame with a good coat of paint / primer works just as well and is much cheaper.

Unless you're going electric with your system I do not suggest you use Aluminum.

I'm sure it could be designed to be shielded from the heat of the burners but that may take some trial and error. Aluminum melts at only 1220F and will warp at even lower temps.

Mild steel would be you best alternative to stainless if your going with gas as your heat source.

Another one on the steel. No need to spend the extra money on stainless. If you want it shiny like stainless....buy some silver metallic paint. If you want it shiny around the burners too you can pick up a wide variaty of engine block paints at automotive or paint stores that will hold up to the heat.

Sounds good. It will be electric, but I think mild steel will be what I go with. I talked to him and he said it'd be easy. Thanks for the help, any specific type of paint? I'm starting to get excited. I get home on the 25th and will be there and off work until the 9th. I've got my pots, fittings, and immersion chiller ordered. Gotta get pumps and a plate chiller ordered and pick up the steel. Gonna try to get it all built during those 2 weeks and then work on wiring on my next 2 weeks off (and I've never wired ANYTHING)!

Back