pale wheat ale ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
hey im having a southern tier 422.. which is a pale wheat ale and i like it.

im a noob. what makes it "pale" and does any one have a recipe for something like it ?

This seems to be a grey area. Per BJCP there is only one american wheat style: 6D, American wheat or rye beer. This is a pretty broad generalization IMO.

For a beer to be a WPA (wheat pale ale) in my book, I'm expecting some significant hop notes. Tallgrass Halcyon wheat is the only beer I've had that fits the bill but the more I hear about TF Gumballhead and Lagunitas Little sumpfin sumpfun, the more I think they are in line with my requirements, and I can't wait to try either one.

OTOH, I hear Goose Island 312, Boulevard UF Wheat, and Widmer Hefe all referenced as WPAs in some circles, but not mine. While they are good beers in their own respects, I don't find the word "pale" coming out of my mouth.

But all of the hub-bub aside, I don't know what the 422 is like, so I can't offer any clone information.

Well IMO there wansnt significant hop notes. It is a very easy drinker. I have had the 312 from goose island and it was great but there is no comparing the 2 IMO.
Keep an eye out for the 422 and give it a shot.....

Back