weird after taste - is my beer oxidized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
I brewed a partigyle a while back. The small beer was bottled at three Weeks and tastes fine. The bigger beer bulk aged in a carboy for two months. I bottled it today. There was no sign of an infection but there was a bad after taste. I thought it tasted kind of like dirt, the wife thought it tasted like mildew. I'm guessing this is the wet cardboard taste of oxidation? I don't recall anything going wrong when racking to secondary but I think that's when it would have happened

Thoughts?

what is the recipe? If I'm thinking correctly the small beer was made by adding more water to your grains and remashing, while the bigger beer is the wort from the first mash?

I don't remember off the top of my head, and don't have my notes with me, but it was almost entirely MO with a tiny but of roasted barley. I boiled about a gallon of the wort down to about a pint to caramelize it (it was a scotch ale).

Back