Umm...I might need HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday. I boiled 2 gals of extract and when the boil was completed I poured in primary. I topped it off with 3 chilled (from freezer) gals of distilled, sterilized H2O. I pitched yeast and gave a stir. Suddenly, I realized to take a temp! It was 58°!!!!
That was 24 hours ago. I have no activity at all. I have wrapped the primary in blankets and placed a heating pad at the bottom to try and warm it up.

Question I guess is when is the be afraid point that I have lost my batch? Is there anything I can do to assist fermentation.

Thanks everyone for your help in advance!

It is way too early to say you lost the batch. Let it warm up and see what happens. The yeast should be fine. It just may take a bit longer for them to get going. I would give it another 24 hours before you get too concerned. :mug:

It was an American Pale Ale and I used a vial of Cali Ale yeast WPL0001 (no starter).

Orfy, if nothing happens in two weeks, I call you for your address!!

Appreciate the help guys!

homebrewer_99 said:
Several things come to mind...was it an ale or a lager?

If it was a lager then you would not have any problem especially if your yeast temp was also in the 50s.:D
From the sound of it I would say he pitched an ale yeast.

Yeast can survive the cold very well, they just can't tolerate heat. Even if on the odd chance the yeast are pooched, the batch will be fine, just repitch with new yeast (assuming you have some).

...and even if the yeast doesn't kick in, you can always repitch. More than likely, it will be fine. You may have shocked it a bit.

Latest posts

Back