Mounting 20lb CO2 on keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob211

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed; I sure couldn't find it.

I'd like to know how people have attached a 20lb CO2 cylinder to a smallish keezer, say the 7 cu ft size. I have my keezer on a dolly, and although I can keep it from moving I'm still concerned about the tank. Attaching to the wall isn't super practical since where it's located there isn't anything close that's solid. So I was thinking of extending some 2x4 from the dolly and making some sort of holder. That way if the whole thing gets bumped it all moves.

I can also run a chain to the tank from the collar, but that seems kinda inelegant.

Rob

Get yourself one of these sized to fit your tank that you can attach to your collar...

Thanks, kinda pricey. And begs the question of how to attach it. Sheet metal screws aren't strong enough. I can fab a metal L-shaped stand, and use a chain across it (don't need a quick release like an extinguisher), but still wondering how to attach it.

I have the same question as you, rob211.

Those fire extinguisher holders look good but like you said, they are pricey. Also, attach it to the collar? Do you know how big a 20 lb CO2 tank is?

I have the same question as you, rob211.

Those fire extinguisher holders look good but like you said, they are pricey. Also, attach it to the collar? Do you know how big a 20 lb CO2 tank is?

Roughly 23" tall. What's the big deal with that?

Plenty of folks have used the brackets, you can bolt through the collar and that tank isn't going anywhere.

And for the guy thinking "sheet metal screws", don't even think about driving screws into the metal skin on a keezer. Bad juju...

Cheers!

My collar lifts with the lid of the freezer. And even if it didn't, a co2 tank sticking up 20" over the top of the keezer isn't very aesthetically pleasing. I think it should be mounted lower on the back of the keezer so it's out of sight.

I figure the weight is close to 50lbs with hoses, regulator and a full load. Not sure I wanna hang that on a collar. And some of those brackets are designed for 20lb dry extinguishers. Some I saw are 17 gauge steel and designed so that the base sits on something, like a bumper or running board.

I'm gonna find a way to secure it to the ground so it doesn't tip over and forget attaching to the keezer. I have several tanks of welding gases, and all are required to be chained or in metal carts. I'll just follow suit here; this CO2 tank isn't as dangerous as some of those but I'd hate to turn it into a missile.

Back