kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
I want to get into kegging sometime soon as I'm already sick of bottles.
I acquired a freezer for almost nothing., but I need it for meat, so there's not going to be any room to put a keg in there and the temps will be below freezing. I was thinking would it be possible to run a coil through it to chill the bear before it comes out the tap, but that way the kegs can be outside the freezer. Sort of like a jokeybox only with a freezer instead of ice, and it wouldn't really be portable.

The only problem I can foresee is any beer left in the lines for a significant amount of time would freeze and I don't know if there is a limitation on how long the lines can be.

Good/bad idea? Suggestions for improvement?

You wont be able to leave the coil in there for any length of time because any beer in the lines will freeze.

If you want you can make a couple of "jockey boxes" by buying some copper tubing, coiling it in a 3-5 gallon bucket and fill it with water put it in your freezer and when solid hook it up to the keg. Or make a real jockey box and keep ice on hand all the time. OR buy, borrow, steal a kegerator.

just my $.02

John

If you are brave, you could build an insulated box next to your freezer. Drill two holes in the side of the freezer and us a computer fan hooked to a thermostat to circulate cold air through the box.

Back