Orange Blossom Saison, when to add Ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have this very awesome Orange Blossom Saison beer that is about gone now, for my next run I would llike to add a little Ginger which I think would be a nice touch. Don't want it prominant in either taste or aroma but would like a bit of both.

9 lbs 2 Row
1.5 oz Hallertauer (FWH)
.5 oz Willamette (FWH)
WLP568 (W/Starter)
2.75 lbs local Raw Orange Blossom Honey (in primary from the start)

Mash 152*, ferment at 62*
At 3 weeks, add the zest of 4 Cara Cara oranges to 1/2 C. of vodka. Leave in Primary for another week then keg

Thoughts on when to add the Ginger and how much?

If you brew this and love it... blame me :ban:

Toy4Rick

I make a ginger wit that has a solid ginger flavor to it. I used 1 oz of fresh grated at flameout for my first run. Reduced it to half an ounce for a more recent batch. It allows for more wit flavor in aroma and the spiciness of the ginger comes through the flavor. I might even go slightly less next round, but half an ounce is about right. Although take it with a grain of salt because when I was researching ginger on HBT I found massive variation in quantities. Some people were using 6 to 8 ounces throughout the boil... Can't imagine you would taste anything but ginger heat with that.

Latest posts

Back