First batch, worried I made some mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcflorian

Reaction score
Brewing 1st batch using the Cooper's Beer Kit (Lager)

Instead of using all brewing sugar, did 50/50 mix of brewing sugar and light malt.

Also used a fresh yeast purchased at same store.

Anyhow,

I followed instructions to the letter, but was called from house on emergency with the wort at 66 deg. Covered it up, Came back 1 hr later and sprinkled the yeast on top of wort and moved it to location .

Anyhow. During the night, the beer temp dropped to 60 degrees. In the morning I put a heating pad under it, and got it up to 75 deg. Then unplugged it so it will hopefully cool to optimal temp.

Has been 36 hrs since adding yeast and no bubbling in airlock at all.

I am home for next 3 days so I can keep close eye on beer. Want to get it to 66-68 .

Will my beer still turn out right. I have heard adding malt slows fermenting process slightly, but temp fluctuation has me concerned.

Thanks to all who respond

Hey fellow nutmegger.

You should be fine. Be careful with over heating. Fermentation temperature is a huge factor in how your beer tastes. When you have high yeast activity in the first week of fermentation, the actual temp of your beer can be 4-7 degrees higher than the ambient temperature.

I'm sure Revvy will pop in here and let you know about how lack of airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean lack of fermentation.

Relax, don't worry, have a craft brew.

Instead of using all brewing sugar, did 50/50 mix of brewing sugar and light malt.
This is the only thing that jumped out at me as a possible "mistake". Better to replace 100% of the sugar with malt extract. You'll still be fine though.

Temperature control is always an issue; many identify it as the most significant factor in improving their brews. But rather than stress about it, just relax and observe - do the best you can for now, and while this batch bubbles you can think about your next one. It takes time to get your process dialed in.

And the yeast - it will start, don't worry.

It will be ok. my airlock looked like it was barely working so i took a reading a week later and it was fermenting just slow. it dropped from 1.070 to 1.060 in a week. it was supposed to be done in 1 to to weeks and thats not really close. I was paranoid about my brew too because lack of bubbles in the air lock. like the last peron said that doesn't mean no fermentation. I would just check it with your hydrometer in a week or two to check.

Back