Has anyone made Cidre Doux?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cidre Doux is a french cider that is sweet and about 2-3% abv, from what I remember, it was supposed to be an incompletely fermented cider without any other ingriedients.

However, I am not entirely sure what is traditionally done, and I sadly dont speak any French, so their websites probably wont help. I was thinking that I could make a cider and either bottle it after about ~2.5%abv gravity change. Then heat kill the yeast in the bottles (I saw an article somewhere on this forum about it) after a day or to in order to allow it to carbonate.

If anyone could lend some advice/experience/knowledge it woudl be greatly appreciated.

I was curious, so I read through a few French web pages on cider making. The commercial Cider Makers, like Loic Raison in Brittany, do not share procedural info, but it seems like they are 3-4% and clear.

I've seen a few brands emphasizing the varieties of apples, and my sense is that they ferment a blend showcasing a particular variety and stop fermentation early.

If I were to do this at home I'd get the best darn juice you can get your hands on, pitch a wine yeast (I guarantee that's what the French are using) and watch it closely until you hit the ABV you're looking at. When you hit it, I'd add stabilizing agents and cold crash immediately. Then store it in the cold until it is crystal clear.

To make it sparkling, as many of them are, you'll have to keg and force carb. It would be impossible to bottle carb.

hope this helps,
à te santé, mon ami!

Back