Supposedly 6% has no kick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_0106

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I've brewed a couple of meads and and ciders over the last couple of months and things are going great. Being still very much of a beginner, I was wondering -

Whenever I brew a cider, OG is around 1.050-1.052 and they finish usually around 1.002ish indicating a ~6% ABV on my hydrometer. The other night, I had two bottles of a mixed berry cider I had back sweetened with erythritol, bottled and back barbed for about 7 days. It turned out great. Tasted like a cider but after drinking the two bottles, there was little to no kick off it. If I drink two pints of store bought cider/beer, I know I've had two beers if you get me. After my two pints of cider, I was still as sober as a judge.

Any ideas? Should I step feed to increase ABV to something mad like 10%?

I agree 6% is 6% the difference is likely psychological. I actually find homebrew worse just because of my habits. With store bought beers I tend to be really aware of opening a new can, but with homebrew I just pour another from the tap. Sometimes I will top up before I finish if I am headed by the tap to the BBQ or to get something from the beer fridge for someone. I can get a few pints in me pretty quickly.
One difference could be the type of alcohols produced, particularly for how people feel the next day rather than simply intoxication. I would assume different yeasts and different fermentation temps and conditions might effect the % of types of alcohols produced and homebrew might (depending on the process) be less consistent that way than commercial
Although I really couldn't say how pronounced this might be in undistilled drinks.

Latest posts

Back