Fermenting temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg2112

Reaction score
I have a quick question about the temperature where my beer ferments.
I guess it's kind of two question.

First, I bottled a wheat that I had in the fermenter for a week, then secondary for about two weeks. After a week conditioning, I thought I'd crack one open and see how it's progressing. It was actually really well carbed, but did not taste like I expected it to. It basically tastes and smells super yeasty, to the point where it's not that pleasant. Is this simply because it hasn't been bottled long enough? I wasn't expecting it to taste like a finished beer, I just wanted to see progress - It actually smells and taste pretty much exactly how it did while it was in the secondary, only with more carbonation, so I wonder if I haven't conditioned long enough, and it's fine, just wait, or if there's something up with the process altogether.

Which brings me to my next question

The temperature in my basement is pretty cool, even in the summer. Right now, it's between 60 and 65. It's usually below 65. How much is this going to be a problem during fermenting?

The beer isn't done yet, give it more time to condition and age.

Your temps sounds very good to me.

Ambient temps aren't going to be the temp inside the fermenter, which could vary by 10 degrees......so for me I try to stay below 63 but 65 isn't bad

Each yeast has a different optimum temp range, so it all depends on the yeast strain, but 60-65 is a good temps for most common ale yeasts.

Keeping temp CONSTANT is as important as the actual temperature, so as long as the 60-65 swing is gradual, and it stays pretty constantly within that range (again for common ale yeasts), you're good.

Sounds good. My worry was more that the temperature was too cool, but it sounds like 60-ish isn't really a problem. Thanks.

I opened another one of the wheats today (been conditioning for two weeks today), and it was much better. It still tastes a little odd to me, but better, maybe it will mellow over time. Very well carbed, small bubbles the entire time I drank it. Still has some time to go, but a good lesson in patience.

The strange taste in my wheat is still there, three weeks after bottling. I had a thought - the kit suggested regular granulated sugar for fermentation, which I've never used before.
Could this be a factor in the sweet/yeasty taste that I have going on?

I don't think 1 week in primary for an ale yeast in the mid 60's is enough. Did you take any gravity readings after primary or before bottling? Which yeast strain?

If you store your beer in the same room you ferment in like I do it takes longer to bottle condition because it is cooler.

I just turned the heat on in my basement because it was getting to cool in there LOL. Most times though at 60 to 65 with most ale yeasts I have good beer in 4 or 5 weeks. I am drinking one now that was 3 weeks and it needs some more time.

Sucks I know and god knows I have drank a lot of green beers in my life. You just need patience grasshopper

Latest posts

Back