New Guy, Copper top help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbs007

Reaction score
Hi everybody, my name is Jared and I'm finally living in one place long enough to build a bar (something I've wanted to do for a while). Anyway, I want to put a copper top on it but need some help. I've looked at a few threads on here and saw some awesome ones and I need to know how to do it.

This is what I have so far. I'd like to put a nice copper top on it with dark stained wood trim around the sides. My current questions are:

1) Where should I get the copper? There is an industrial metal place near me that has sheets of copper, but they have fine lines in them, from the roller I guess. I want it more shiny. Can these buff out?

2) How do I attach the copper to the bar?

3) Whats the best way for the copper to meet the wood trim? ie should the copper go all the way to the edge of the base plywood then the trim over it, or should the trim go on the base plywood and the edge of the copper butt against it?n

Thanks in advance and if there is anymore explaining I need to do let me know. Thanks to everyone who have put so much great info on here already!

I'd run the copper to the edges and finish it (buff out & seal it) and then apply the trim. If your edge trim is wide, you only need the copper to go under it about a 1/2". (Copper is expensive and you might be able to save $'s this way.) When applying the trim, I'd put a thin bead of silicone caulk on the trim piece close to the exposed edge to prevent water from going under it.

for buffing, copper is really easy to polish since its so soft but will scratch really really easily as well... maybe cover it with an epoxy pour

I wouldn't protect it all. The nice texture of all the little scratches and dings of a few years use will look great.

Thanks for the help!

I plan on not coating it. I'll give it brasso every now and then but this is definately the look I'm going for. Besides just polishing it thoguh, how do I smooth out the surface? The copper I'm looking at buying has a very slight brushed look, which I think came from the rollers it was squeezed through in manufacturing. Is there copper available with an already smooth finish?

The trim won't overlap the top too much so I'll run the copper to the edge first. Thanks for the advice!

Just remember that beer is acidic and every time you spill even a smigin it will tarnish the top. It will end up looking pretty gnarly after a bit. lots of rings from glasses and what not.

Back