Walker's HGPAG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Walker, I'm gonna do an AG version of your HG porter, dig:

4.5#2-row
4.5#Vienna
.75#Chocolate
.25#patent
1#crystal 60

1.5oz EKG 60
0.75oz Fuggle 20
0.5oz EKG 5

Windsor ale yeast

Lemme know if you would change anything. :mug:

I don't want to hijack--but I do have a question for Walker.....what IS the holy grail? Meaning, exactly what are you shooting for? What would you consider the benchmark or the target? Balanced? Sweet?

Cheyco....I'm no porter expert but that recipe looks nice. You didn't over do it on the black patent and it looks like a pound of crystal will be pretty good. The Vienna should help make it nice and malty.

Here's my break out for 10 gallons of Porter

Malt Percentage
Black malt 3.00%
Chocolate malt 5.00%
Crystal malt 10.00%
Munich malt 5.00%
Malted Wheat 9.00%
Briess 2 row Pale malt 68.00%

and the hop profile for 40 IBU's
Hops IBU's ounces Alpha Acids Addition Phase
Perle 20 1.50 6.3 Kettle addition
NB 20 2.50 7.1 Middle addtion
Centennial 1.00 Late addition
Centennial 1.00 End of Boil

Yeast hand delivered from Mcneill's Brewey

Target Gravity 1.054
90 minute Boil

I wouldn't recommend more then 5% each of the chocolate or black, as you will risk imparting some burnt flavor which IMHO is undesirable.

How many IBU's are you shooting for?
For your hop profile I'd like to suggest the Fuggles for the kettle addition, and and using the EKG for the middle. IMHO I think Fuggles better suited as a kettle addition hop.

glibbidy said:
I wouldn't recommend more then 5% each of the chocolate or black, as you will risk imparting some burnt flavor which IMHO is undesirable.

Do you mean total dark grains should not exceed 5%? Right now I'm at 9% I don't mind a little burnt flavor.
glibbidy said:
How many IBU's are you shooting for?
For your hop profile I'd like to suggest the Fuggles for the kettle addition, and and using the EKG for the middle. IMHO I think Fuggles better suited as a kettle addition hop.

I was shooting for mid 30's, I don't want it to be overly bitter. Maybe I'll split all the additions 50/50 EKG/Fuggles. Sounds crazy I know, waddaya think?

no more then 5% of the total grist = chocolate
no more then 5%of the total grist= black

You should be fine at 9%. A pro brewer friend once told me "You will only use too much black or chocolate malt once." ;)

I have never used EKG as a kettle hop despite it being the classic high quailty english hop that it is. I'm sure that the EKG and fuggles used in tandem will work just fine. Let me know how it turns out if you do use them 50/50.

Well this bad boy is in the books. I split all the hop additions and everything whent really well. Sasquatch is very nearly converted to AG, we'll see, he scored very high in the 'drank too much to be much help' section. :)

I was about a point low on my OG.

I can't wait to hear how this shakes out because I'm curious. My taste will probably run to the sweet instead of the bitter, but maybe not. I'm curious as to how it comes out. It looks really good. I also really like the looks of Walkers' HG Porter which I think tested well if I remember correctly...

Maybe I'm just turning into a Porter Junkie..... :drunk:

LOL P.O.C. (Porter Obsessive Compulsive)

POC! POC! :D

Ize

I didn't puke in the wort, so don't complain. And besides, if you hadn't handed me the sillymacher bock of yours as pint #2 I probably would have gone the distance!

Anyway, that recipe went together real nice, and smelled a lot like the dark beers I've made that I've been happy with, so expectations are high.

Cheyco is the counterflow chiller king. He put together an absolutley screaming system from random brass fittings and duct tape.

I thought the more important result of the day was the advent of spicy sausage burgers, to be honest. The beer thing is nice, but it's improved by spiced meat.... a beautiful harmony.

Chairman Cheyco said:
For the record, there is no duct tape for I believe it is evil. (yes BG plans are coming...)
Well, I'm anxious to see the plans, and I think duct tape is the greatest invention since sliced bread. A friend once broke the last 6" of the stern of his kayak off in a rapid and I duct taped it back on to complete the run! It's also good for attaching PVC pipe to a bike rack if you don't have a truck...

Dude said:
I don't want to hijack--but I do have a question for Walker.....what IS the holy grail? Meaning, exactly what are you shooting for? What would you consider the benchmark or the target? Balanced? Sweet?

I don't know that I can classify it so easily. I think I'll just know it when I achieve it. :)

I want a porter that is chocolatey and roasty, but don't want to create a light stout. That has been part of the problem with previous attempts... and is the reason I refuse to throw actual "roasted barley" into it.

I don't want it to be sweet, that's for certain. And I don't want too much harsh bitterness from the roasted malts I use. (I actually used debittered carafa on the last batch.)

I think I might actually like a slight bit of tangy sourness to it, but am scared to try and introduce that out of fear that I might over-do it.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I don't know that I can classify it so easily. I think I'll just know it when I achieve it. :)

I want a porter that is chocolatey and roasty, but don't want to create a light stout. That has been part of the problem with previous attempts... and is the reason I refuse to throw actual "roasted barley" into it.

I don't want it to be sweet, that's for certain. And I don't want too much harsh bitterness from the roasted malts I use. (I actually used debittered carafa on the last batch.)

I think I might actually like a slight bit of tangy sourness to it, but am scared to try and introduce that out of fear that I might over-do it.

-walker

Sounds easy!
:D

Walker-san said:
don't want to create a light stout.

isn't that essentially what a porter is? at least the converse is accurate in that a stout is just a "heavy" (or "stout") porter, right...?
or is that purely historical and the styles have since evolved?

Lou said:
isn't that essentially what a porter is? at least the converse is accurate in that a stout is just a "heavy" (or "stout") porter, right...?
or is that purely historical and the styles have since evolved?

Yes, historically a porter is a light stout (conversely accurate).

However, there are two kinds of porters; brown and robust.

The robust porter is more like the historical porter. I'm shooting for a brown porter and don't want it to necessarily taste as roasty as a stout.

I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone other than myself, but...

-walker

Back