Recipe question - Smithwicks clone turned out brown...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedspointbrew

Brewing out in left field, with golf clubs
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the AG BIAB recipe I used :

5.5 lbs Maris
1 lb Crystal 60L UK
.25 lbs Chocolate

.75 Fuggles @ 60, .75 EKG @ 30
S-04 yeast

I'm happy with the flavor overall, but the beer looks more like a brown ale or a dark mild than an amber - too much Crystal 60 or Chocolate, in anyone's opinion?
Thanks as always for any feedback anyone's willing to offer.

lot of the recipes I just looked at use chocolate like yours and some darker crystal. Their SRM was 17-24 which would be more brown that red IMO. '

BYO clone was 14 and their grain bill for 5 gal is :

7.5 lbs. (3.4 kg) pale ale malt
5.75 oz. (160 g) roasted barley (300° L)
7.25 oz. (200 g) flaked barley

Way too much of both crystal and chocolate malts. Cut both in half and you'd have a great Irish red.

How many gallons was this supposed to be? I've assumed 3 gallons.

.25lb of chocolate. might as well use something else. I assumed his recipe is for 2,5 gal

THAT... is an unusual batch size.

And I thought my average batch size was odd... 1.666666666... gallons.

I'd still cut those malts about in half though.
It is an unusual batch size that I hit through trial and error - it suits my equipment.
Will halve the Crystal 60 and Chocolate. Would adding roasted barley be advisable?

It is an unusual batch size that I hit through trial and error - it suits my equipment.
Will halve the Crystal 60 and Chocolate. Would adding roasted barley be advisable?
Roasted barley is more typical than chocolate. Either one should work about the same, but I would not add both at the same time.

Would adding roasted barley be advisable?
A small amount of roasted barley is what gives Irish Reds their red hues. I use 2oz of 500 °L roasted for a 5 gallon batch. If you hold a pint of Guinness up to a bright light, you will see that it’s a pretty ruby color and not black, contrary to popular belief.

Way too much of both crystal and chocolate malts. Cut both in half and you'd have a great Irish red.

How many gallons was this supposed to be? I've assumed 3 gallons.
I brew 5.5 gallon batches. I use the recipe from MoreBeer. It would get shredded by most folks for having a ridiculous grain bill, but it makes a kick ass Irish Red.
9 lbs pale malt
1 lb C-120
8 oz Caramunich 60L
8 oz Chateau Monastique
2 oz Black barley 500 L
2 oz Special B 115 L

1ED080B6-31A5-41F0-9ED2-C45D2071BB56.jpeg
EE831FF9-36DB-45AB-AFA4-99B57F2C874E.jpeg

Edit: lighting is key…
Here’s the same beer just sitting on the counter.
7E0FD3D8-C5A3-45CB-9B04-EDAEC3D9DED4.jpeg

Last edited:
Back