Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasher13

Reaction score
Use bought lemon juice to make some skeeter pee. But the lemon juice has sulfites in it. Ive read that wine yeast is fine with sulfites. Should I still use it ?

Well it depends on how MUCH sulfates. And unless you know how much they put in it's going to be hit and miss. But I bet they're just going to prevent wild thingers from taking hold so not a ton of sulfates. Since you bought it already, give it a try see what happens, give us feedback on the brand/store so we can have more knowledge on that situation.

So I have a 5 gallon carboy and wanna make a little start jar on the side with the lemon sugar and full packet of champagne yeast to see if it starts to ferment before making my larger batch. Any thoughts on the recipe for a 1 liter starter jar ?

well that could be good. Just keep in mind that with the acidity of the lemon juice it takes a little longer for it to take off than with most other juices. But this is a good idea. Try to start it with the same mix of lemon-water-sugar as will be in overall recipe if you can.

image-2977256723.jpg

image-134916472.jpg

image-3724821084.jpg

So!
11% gravity 1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 sugar
2 cups water
Plus water from pitching
1 packet 118 champagne yeast

2 hours later action happening small bubbles forming already to surface

Gonna try it out full scale.

Wish me luck

always use a yeast starter with skeeter pee. and wip the crap outta the must before adding.

Well it's been two days after I added the starter. No action at all
I'm thinking it's since I ran out of yeast nutrients that maybe the yeast is having a hard time with the acidity level of the lemons
I'm trying to make another starter again to pitch

Day 4 of nothing happening I went and got some nutrients added 3 tsp and took my fish tank bubbler to it
Next day tiny bubbles started
2 days after full on ripping the bubbles :)
Can't wait for my first taste of skeeter pee

Back