Rice Hulls and Pumpkin Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregus

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been brewing all grain for about 6 years now and I have brewed my last two batches and had horrible efficiency. The last two batches have had rice hulls and pumpkin in the mash.

I have never used rice hulls before or Pumpkin in the mash. Do they have any kind of effect on the efficiency and yield from the mash.

When I say the efficiency has been bad, what I mean is the last batch had an estimated OG of 1.056 and I hit 1.032. I basically made water.

Any thoughts. I am also thinking my grain mill might need to be adjusted.

Thank you

I've made a pumpkin ale with pumpkin & rice hulls in the mash and made my numbers (70%). I suspect something else happened....

Rice hulls should have no effect whatsoever. What potential sg were you expecting from the pumpkin? Beersmith says 1.006, but personally I work on the theory of 1.000. You may need to use more water as the pumpkin will absorb a bit. Perhaps you should increase your sparging regime.

Back