Quick Apfelwein questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions. Mine has been sitting in the primary for almost 5 weeks. It has cleared up nicely but there are still little bubbles coming to the top. Can I bottle this today? I'm just worried about bottle bombs because there are still little bubbles coming to the top (at a slow rate though)

If I bottle this today and do half carbonated and half still, do you think it would be decent tasting if I opened a couple of the still bottles in two days???

Thanks!!

have you taken a gravity reading?

5 weeks should be fine as long as you have had it above 65 degrees.

I am having the opposite problem of bottle bombs.. my apartment is too cold so the bottles aren't carbinating.

I bottle AW after it is very clear; I usually do this at the two-month mark.

So I took a gravity reading and it was ready. I bottled it and it totally kicked 12 people's a$$ on new years.

I bottled the entire batch still. Could I open a few of the bottles and carbonate them and re-bottle them now to just see the difference???

Could I open a few of the bottles and carbonate them and re-bottle them now to just see the difference???

I've done this with beer, and it does work.

I don't know about cider, but with beer if you pour dextrose right on top of it you get an eruption. Basically you have less than 3s to put the sugar in and recap or you'll get a little volcano action :)

I'd be curious to know if you get a similar effect with your cider.

Be careful how much sugar you put of course. For my beer I basically eyeball it, I have this small coffee spoon I use to measure it. Not really sure how much that actually is, maybe roughly a teaspoon per bottle?

Back