Three beers.....One mash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
I have been planning this brew for a while. It's a riff on a partigyle. The mash will consist of a simple grain bill 50/50 blend of Pils and Wheat malt. Some of the first runnings will be run off into an old cooler and diluted. This beer is going to be a Berliner Weisse. The rest of mash will be run/sparged as usual. The rest of the brewing will be normal. I will then split the wort into two carboys. One will get Cal Ale yeast and be an American Wheat that might turn into either a fruit beer or pepper beer in seconcary. The third beer I am undecided...I am leaning towards something Belgian and keep it really simple. It should be a great experiment to show people what a huge difference the yeast makes in beer.

Sounds like a good experiment - one thing I always do when I try to get multiple beers out of one mash is to have a few pounds of extract on hand in case I come up short with my gravity. Sometimes I need it, sometimes I don't. Had one batch where I did a Belgian Dark with first runnings and then were going to use second runnings for saison..... ended up with a 1.028 second running beer.... threw in 2-3 pounds of pilsner extract and a pound of corn sugar, and it ended up being an absolutely great saison.
The other thing you can do is use some of the belgian candi syrup in that third beer - adds some fermentables and can take the beer in another direction as well.

Back