Biscuit Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Brews

Reaction score
:drunk: I have only made 3 batches of all grain with a friend and no mater what I am making it always has a biscuit like flavor. I am wondering if this is normal with all grain or if I am doing something wrong? I have made A Amber , A Oktoberfest, and Now Red Ale. :drunk:

I suspect you are talking about what is commonly called "grainy". It is common and generally the result of crushing problems. If the husks get shredded during the crush, they'll release these flavors. Sometimes backing off on the crush will help, sometimes it just takes a good cleaning of the mill. Once the flavor is in the brew, a long clearing at low temperatures can help. Filtering also works.

I of course don't have my own mill yet so i usd the one at the HB Shop. I do presently have it is secondary and am dry hoping. the temp is between 60 and 64 and looks to be clearing nicely. should I leave it is secondary for a longer period of time to see if i can get out more of that flavor. I will be kegging it and then bottleing a few for with a beer gun.

Back