I'm so lost. HELLLP! Just upgraded from white buckets to 10+ gallon stainless system...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I probably wouldn't put more than 10-11 gal in a 14gal fermenter.

I brew 5 gal and put in 6.5 (or is it 7?) gal fermenter and have gotten blow off.

See how it goes from there.
I use 7 gallon fermenters for 5 gallon batches. I just picked up a 14 gallon fermenter for 10 gallon batches.
There’s probably a little wiggle room, but I have seen somewhere that you can batch about 75% of your fermenter capacity.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you; be sure to keep us posted.
Cheers!🍻

If you want to do a full volume boil the brew kettle is your determining factor for midrange beers. The 20gal mash tun would allow for a larger volume if you want to top off the wort after the boil. You need a couple gallons of head space in your brew kettle to keep from boiling over. I can do a 10gal batch in my 15gal kettle. I start with about 13gal of wort and end with about 11gals after it cools. I watch the pot for boil start or I have a mess.

I would say 12 to 12.5 would be safe but the head space is somewhat dependent on the yeast. I brew 5gals batches in a 7gal fermentor and most of the time dont have a mess but some ale yeasts still require a blow off tube.

That makes a lot of sense. I can recall stovetop batch boiling over in my wife's kitchen back in the day...I have never been forgiven!

I am working with a 20+ gallon kettle (actually looks like 21.5 by the side markings.) Considering the consensus here, how do you like my chances if I boil 16 gallons in the wort, and then hope for about 13 gallons following the boil off. I do not want to top off the wort afterward. I would be concerned about adding tap water there unless it was boiled or purified--I'm skipping that step.

Does my plan sound okay? Boil 16 gallons... adding American Cascade hops... watching I don't boil over... and then after the steam settles, I've got 13+ gallons to ferment?

Today I am going to attempt a full set up and pump-through just using water.

CHECKING--How annoying is this long thread of dumb questions? Someone commented on another post that it is better to continue one thread than to micro post each question as a new topic. I am unsure...but the replies and support right here are great. I am slowly getting there.

That makes a lot of sense. I can recall stovetop batch boiling over in my wife's kitchen back in the day...I have never been forgiven!

I am working with a 20+ gallon kettle (actually looks like 21.5 by the side markings.) Considering the consensus here, how do you like my chances if I boil 16 gallons in the wort, and then hope for about 13 gallons following the boil off. I do not want to top off the wort afterward. I would be concerned about adding tap water there unless it was boiled or purified--I'm skipping that step.

Does my plan sound okay? Boil 16 gallons... adding American Cascade hops... watching I don't boil over... and then after the steam settles, I've got 13+ gallons to ferment?

Today I am going to attempt a full set up and pump-through just using water.

CHECKING--How annoying is this long thread of dumb questions? Someone commented on another post that it is better to continue one thread than to micro post each question as a new topic. I am unsure...but the replies and support right here are great. I am slowly getting there.
Don't worry about your postings, you're just trying to gather information for your brew. A lot folks don't admit it but we all started out just like you, lots of questions and then trying to sift through all the different answers. If you posted just one question you probably would get dozens of different answers.

I have DME for priming. I was also thinking to add some to the wort. Any thoughts?

I'm using free version of Brewer's Friend to shape this recipe. I think I am back to 12.5 gallon batch, but depends on what the software tells me, I guess.

I'm going with the calculations given by that database.

How many kettles do your have?
it is possible I missed something but from the pictures of the equipment I see two Kettles, a 20gal SSbrewtech insulated mashtun(cant be put on fire) and a smaller Blichmann which I am assuming is 15gal. The Blichmann is your boil kettle.

How many kettles do your have?
it is possible I missed something but from the pictures of the equipment I see two Kettles, a 20gal SSbrewtech insulated mashtun(cant be put on fire) and a smaller Blichmann which I am assuming is 15gal. The Blichmann is your boil kettle.
****. You are absolutely correct. I am confusing my vessels. Okay. I have the huge 20gal+ SS Brewtech mashtun and the Blichmann Boliermaker (15gal sounds right too.) Fermenter is a Stout 14.5 gallon capacity. So I have some math to do! And I gotta learn the terms!

Was gaining confidence...now I am back to feeling like a dunce. Ha! I might be calling this: "Confident Dunce Ale."

Going from 16 to 13gal into the fermentor seems reasonable, but all system are a little different. I assume losing 1gal to trub/break and a little over 1gal for a boil off on a 10gal batch.

One thing you should do before finalizing your recipe is run a boil test on your brew kettle, fill the kettle with the amount of water you plan to brew with and boil for an hour see what you got left. It will give you a good idea on your boil off rate and also an idea on how long it takes to heat to boil on your system. Also sometime the volume marking on a kettle could be a little off so you get a change to verify those too.

Going from 16 to 13gal into the fermentor seems reasonable, but all system are a little different. I assume losing 1gal to trub/break and a little over 1gal for a boil off on a 10gal batch.

One thing you should do before finalizing your recipe is run a boil test on your brew kettle, fill the kettle with the amount of water you plan to brew with and boil for an hour see what you got left. It will give you a good idea on your boil off rate and also an idea on how long it takes to heat to boil on your system. Also sometime the volume marking on a kettle could be a little off so you get a change to verify those too.
I've since downscaled... thankfully, I have been corrected on the vessel sizes above. The recipe I am working up now involves 12.8 gallons to start, and should yield about 11 gallons of beer.

I'm looking to use DME for the priming... I have some time on this, but trying to understand how much I need, because carbonation numbers make no sense to me. Can anyone advise as to CO2 level/vols? I am hoping to make a beer with a nice pop when the cap is lifted, like many American beers. I enjoy Newcastle and dark, flatter beers, but here, I am just trying to make a beer with a little fizz and pop. Can anyone tell me how much extract I should add in before bottling? I'm making 11 gallons of beer.

I'm looking to use DME for the priming...

I see @mac_1103 beat me to the punch on linking to the priming calculator, so I will just mention that using DME for priming is definitely not necessary! Plain old table sugar is cheaper and much easier to deal with (not gonna poof up a big cloud of dust, like DME will, when you pour it out of the bag)! Plus, it's easier for your yeast to ferment for that final bottle carbonation.

I see @mac_1103 beat me to the punch on linking to the priming calculator, so I will just mention that using DME for priming is definitely not necessary! Plain old table sugar is cheaper and much easier to deal with (not gonna poof up a big cloud of dust, like DME will, when you pour it out of the bag)! Plus, it's easier for your yeast to ferment for that final bottle carbonation.
Okay. I have a little while to think about that... I was thinking about that just to be a little different than my old days with the corn sugar. That calculator is great. Thanks!

Okay. I will set something like a 2.75 or a 3.0 carbonation level then? I have some time on this... And yes, I will stick to the lightest DME for priming then. Thank you, guys. That calculator is great.

Okay. I will set something like a 2.75 or a 3.0 carbonation level then?
I have a large number of swing top bottles and quite a few of the Belgian cork and cage stye as well, which is good because I mostly brew styles that need more carbonation. I almost never prime in 12 ounce bottles anymore, but I would never go higher than 2.75 volumes.

Personally, I think the thread has taken a turn away from questions on the new equipment to a general chat session on things it seems like you already know or should from the extract brewing. Whatever, I guess; lots of engagement from the readership.

Personally, I think the thread has taken a turn away from questions on the new equipment to a general chat session on things it seems like you already know or should from the extract brewing. Whatever, I guess; lots of engagement from the readership.
I can see your point, it's a long post but most of the content seems relative to the original post.

To me the OP is trying to get some answers on new equipment and his first all grain brew. Sure he's brewed kits before but switching to all grain has some differences he might not feel confident with. It can be overwhelming brewing your first all grain batch on new equipment.

It can be overwhelming brewing your first all grain batch on new equipment.
I don’t know if overwhelming adequately qualifies it. When I moved to all grain, I first watched someone do a 5 gallon batch on equipment similar to what I had.
This fellow is going to larger batch, all grain on advanced equipment that he has never used before. I think it’s borderline terrifying! 😁

I believe someone mentioned that there are several local suppliers in his area. Surely, there’s a brew club around, too. I would be looking for someone to guide me through that first experience. How many times do we have little hiccups in our process when we are doing the same routine we have done dozens of times before? Personally, I would be a lot more comfortable with a little onsite, experienced guidance.

I can see your point, it's a long post but most of the content seems relative to the original post.

To me the OP is trying to get some answers on new equipment and his first all grain brew. Sure he's brewed kits before but switching to all grain has some differences he might not feel confident with. It can be overwhelming brewing your first all grain batch on new equipment.

Definitely plenty of differences extract to AG, but those differences pretty much stop at the boil kettle. There are lots of chat/questions beyond that.

It is my opinion. I didn't expect it would be a popular opinion but the OP asked.

Definitely plenty of differences extract to AG, but those differences pretty much stop at the boil kettle. There are lots of chat/questions beyond that.

It is my opinion. I didn't expect it would be a popular opinion but the OP asked.
In fairness, most of the drift happened after he asked the question. Just speculating here, but my guess is that trying to figure out the switch to AG on the fancy new rig has him wondering if anything he thought he knew about brewing is actually true.

I think it parallels the old adage, "How much is something worth? What people are willing to pay for it."

In this case, it's " What makes a good post? What people reply to."

While I agree that this has been a very odd thread, it has truly fascinated me how it keeps going. Next, we'll probably start debating bottles vs cans...

Or maybe LODO!

Trying to find someone in your area that is experienced with 3-vessel all grain brewing and asking for some help would be the best path forward. Learning via forum posts, youtube videos, etc is going to be tricky. Maybe a close second would be to create a youtube channel and livestream a couple times while showing off your gear, then do it again when you have the system setup, then once again when you're brewing.

Okay. I will set something like a 2.75 or a 3.0 carbonation level then? I have some time on this... And yes, I will stick to the lightest DME for priming then. Thank you, guys. That calculator is great.
Yeah, 3.5 seems awfully high to me... I'm not sure what kind of German beer you are making, but I usually make pilsners with around 2.5 volumes or so. Some styles are more effervescent than others of course.

Bobby,
Definitely interested in help!
Would you be willing to stop by?
Thank you!
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
MASSIVE Shout out to SIBELMAN--The MAN.

Kind enough to visit my garage brewery yesterday, and walked me through all-grain + sparging. As I am true visual learner, I cannot thank you enough! Of course, I continue to learn here on Homebrewtalk too.

Today, finally, will be my brew day. ...ohhhh it's gonna happen.

Stay tuned, all. Thank you for all of your replies and support. I have always been that kid in the class who is not afraid to stop the teacher, sound stupid, and ask the question that others were embarrassed to raise their hand about... but later, quietly, people would always come up to me and thank me, saying they had the same question.

It's how I roll...I might not be the brightest, but I never get left behind!

ONNNNNNNNNWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRDDDDD!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, 3.5 seems awfully high to me... I'm not sure what kind of German beer you are making, but I usually make pilsners with around 2.5 volumes or so. Some styles are more effervescent than others of course.
2.5 sounds like a better number. Thank you.

I think it parallels the old adage, "How much is something worth? What people are willing to pay for it."

In this case, it's " What makes a good post? What people reply to."

While I agree that this has been a very odd thread, it has truly fascinated me how it keeps going. Next, we'll probably start debating bottles vs cans...

Or maybe LODO!
What's LODO?

Back