Big beer recipe critiques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
Im more of a session beer guy...and by session, I mean 3.5-7% :mug:

I prefer to see how much flavor I can pack into a more drinkable everyday beer. However, I have to brew a big beer for a bourbon barrel filling with 5 other friends. We started with an old ale, but after pulling half the old ale and topping it off last year with more old ale, this year we are going to do a quad to introduce some new flavors to the blend. Ive done some good tripels, but Ive never brewed a quad. Let me know what you think of this.

5gal (setting my efficiency low at 70% since its a bigger beer)
OG - 1.092
FG - 1.020
IBU - 28
ABV - 9.3%
mash@148

10# pils 58.8%
4# flaked wheat 23.5%
2# D2 candi syrup 11.8%
1# coconut palm sugar 5.9%
.65oz summit 60min
wyeast 3944 belgian wheat (de dolle strain) - start ferment at 68 and let free rise

i know the first 2 questions...palm sugar and summit. the palm sugar is like a light brown sugar without the molasses flavor. Almost a little nutty. As for summit, its my standard bittering hop for just about everything I brew. Very clean, no onion contrary to many peoples thoughts.

Second beer is an Imperial Stout. A friend asked me to brew one. Im only doing 2.5gals so I dont have to brew up too much. He wants a big beer, so we are aiming for 12%. I usually prefer very simple recipes, but imperial stouts always seems to need a little of this and that so that no one element overpowers.

2.5gal
OG - 1.112
FG - 1.022
IBU - 77
ABV - 11.9-12ish
mash @148

8# 2-row
.5# flaked barley
.5# melanoidin
.5# crystal 90
.5# chocolate malt
4oz carafa III
2oz roasted barley
1lb d2 candi syrup
.5oz summit 60min
.5oz willamette 15min
s-04 - ferment 66-68

Im curious to see the thoughts on either of these beers.

Back