Beer Gods don't want me kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying, I've been laid up for 2 1/2 weeks after having surgery on my right leg, and I have had little for entertainment other than HBT. :tank:
So with nothing to do I figured why not build a kegerator and say to hell with bottling. SO, I had a couple extract kits on order already; NB's Red Irish Ale, and Carbiou Slobber, because I knew that I was going to have nothing to do other than laying around with ice being a cripple. I bought a new Danby fridge which went off without a hitch. Order a 2 tap tower with everything. Of that order, I was shorted a smart strip, a faucet wrench, and the 2 kegs were backordered. Awesome. So I ordered 2 more kegs from another vendor since they were in stock because I was unsure of when the rest of my other order was going to be filled. Got the 2 kegs, found out today one was defective and wasted a bunch of CO2. Great vendor and he is already taking care of it. Kegged the Irish ale with my only remaining keg. Fittings in the tower leaks. Son of a. Tried tightening up the fitting in the tower and the wrench falls off the side of the kegerator into a 12 pack box of Great Lakes bottles which were empty. Smash; glass hits the cabinets. So, hobbling around the kitchen can't find the piece of glass, oh wait, yep, just F'n stepped on it with my bare foot. I'm done and having a beer. What a day.
Ever have those days when things just fall apart and absolutely nothing goes as planned?

Relax, don't worry, have six homebrews.

Sounds like that may have been the problem!

Yes, I've had one of those days. Just gotta take a deep breath, maybe step back and think about taking your time with this stuff. When this happens to me it's usually because I'm in a hurry for some reason. Maybe because I don't have much time before some other necessity pops up, or I'm just eager to get it done and try it out.

I find it works better if I am very careful and methodical, choosing to do things the sure way instead of the fastest way.

Don't worry you're not alone.

The beer gods have decided I am not allowed to use a plate chiller. The last 2 times I tried, I had plugged lines that were frustrating enough that I accidentally contaminated my batch (use a non-sanitized spoon to try to unclog it). Got to the point that I reboiled and did a no-chill on my last batch.

But I'll have the last laugh. I just installed a dip tube (was/am doing BIAB and partial mashes) with a chore boy at the end and I just built a hop spider. To really show those fiends who's boss, I may just make an awesomely stupid batch of beer.

Let me begin by saying, I've been laid up for 2 1/2 weeks after having surgery on my right leg, and I have had little for entertainment other than HBT. :tank:
So with nothing to do I figured why not build a kegerator and say to hell with bottling. SO, I had a couple extract kits on order already; NB's Red Irish Ale, and Carbiou Slobber, because I knew that I was going to have nothing to do other than laying around with ice being a cripple. I bought a new Danby fridge which went off without a hitch. Order a 2 tap tower with everything. Of that order, I was shorted a smart strip, a faucet wrench, and the 2 kegs were backordered. Awesome. So I ordered 2 more kegs from another vendor since they were in stock because I was unsure of when the rest of my other order was going to be filled. Got the 2 kegs, found out today one was defective and wasted a bunch of CO2. Great vendor and he is already taking care of it. Kegged the Irish ale with my only remaining keg. Fittings in the tower leaks. Son of a. Tried tightening up the fitting in the tower and the wrench falls off the side of the kegerator into a 12 pack box of Great Lakes bottles which were empty. Smash; glass hits the cabinets. So, hobbling around the kitchen can't find the piece of glass, oh wait, yep, just F'n stepped on it with my bare foot. I'm done and having a beer. What a day.
Ever have those days when things just fall apart and absolutely nothing goes as planned?

LOL, absolutely! I have a thread titled "worst...brewday... ever" in which i overflow a keg onto my laminate floors which would ruin them if it soaked in), sliced my finger open with a razor knife, forgot the honey in my honey porter, and probably something else or two.

Been there!

After a few beers and finally simmering down I finally regained my composure and took another look at the tower. Voila, found a tiny pinhole in the solder job of the shank. No torch on hand but got a soldering gun that was able to get it hot enough to run some solder. Problem solved. Today after we got back from our sanity trip out of town, 3 kegs were awaiting me on my porch and a bunch of other goodies for the kegerator, including missing parts from the previous order and replacements. So after the **** storm from yesterday things are looking back up.
Now I can only wait and hope my Irish Ale turns out decent.

Back