Forget Oxi-Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTownLiquorPig

Reaction score
I'm starting to think the "Oxi-Clean removes labels super quick and easy" is a myth perpetrated by the good posters of this fine online forum. I've soaked bottles in oxi-clean for days at a time, and can't get the labels off......

Last week I soaked a new batch of bottles in a 20 Gallon tub, but ditched the oxiclean and instead tried hot water and about 2 tsp's of Chlori-Clean (pink stuff, http://www.winemakeri.com/Chlori_Clean_p/14020b.htm ). 20 minutes later about half the labels were at least semi-removed, no peeling or prying needed. After about 90 minutes I got the rest of the labels off, and only 2 or 3 even ripped. A quick scrub with a brush as I took the bottles out of the water got the glue off. Crazy. Wish I'd tried it before.

It all depends on the label type. I'd say of all the commercial beer varieties I buy, all but one or two are removed by Oxy-Clean

So I it's not a 'myth' :p

It's not a myth....It's just that some labels don't come off....But the vast majority of craft brew labels come off within 24 hours with a hot oxy soak....and any that don't, you pitch....

^^^Agreed. When I drink commercial bought brew, there are some that the labels fall off in my hand with it just getting some condensation on it. There are others that are much more stubborn. I don't think a well known fact should be considered a "myth" just because it didn't work for you on 1 type of bottle. Though, more ideas with other products are always helpful....I just wouldn't knock something that works for a ton of people most of the time.

^^^Agreed. When I drink commercial bought brew, there are some that the labels fall off in my hand with it just getting some condensation on it. There are others that are much more stubborn. I don't think a well known fact should be considered a "myth" just because it didn't work for you on 1 type of bottle. Though, more ideas with other products are always helpful....I just wouldn't knock something that works for a ton of people most of the time.

Fair, but it's been all types of bottles for me to this point. Even plastic coated sticker type labels came off for me with this approach, and didn't at all with the oxi clean.

Didn't mean this post to be a dig at the forum, just another approach for people to try.

Never a prob with oxyclean ... 1.5 case overnight in my sink with warm water. All labels floating in the morning. But lately I've been adding the Guinness draft bottles to my collection, just slice the labels off. No glue.

Oxyclean works well. And Revvy is right, it depends on the type of bottle/label. SN comes off really easily while DFH is a bit more tough. I don't use Oxyclean though since it leaves a nice film/residue in my bottles due to my water chemistry. Just a long soak in hotter than hell water and the scruby side of a kitchen sponge and their nice and label free.

Fair, but it's been all types of bottles for me to this point. Even plastic coated sticker type labels came off for me with this approach, and didn't at all with the oxi clean.

Didn't mean this post to be a dig at the forum, just another approach for people to try.

I don't think we're really taking it as a dig, I agreed in my post that more options to get the job done is always a good thing. If it works, go for it man! :mug:

I've used Oxy-Clean to get labels off for years - some are more stubborn than others, but all have come off eventually. In my experience, it really shines in getting the glue residue off - sometimes I just have to peel the labels off myself but the Oxy-Clean makes the glue basically disappear.

I'm starting to think the "Oxi-Clean removes labels super quick and easy" is a myth perpetrated by the good posters of this fine online forum. I've soaked bottles in oxi-clean for days at a time, and can't get the labels off......

Last week I soaked a new batch of bottles in a 20 Gallon tub, but ditched the oxiclean and instead tried hot water and about 2 tsp's of Chlori-Clean (pink stuff, http://www.winemakeri.com/Chlori_Clean_p/14020b.htm ). 20 minutes later about half the labels were at least semi-removed, no peeling or prying needed. After about 90 minutes I got the rest of the labels off, and only 2 or 3 even ripped. A quick scrub with a brush as I took the bottles out of the water got the glue off. Crazy. Wish I'd tried it before.

Yes we are all lying about our labels come off to safe guard our insecurity of home brewing.

I put 36 Sierra Nevada bottles into my "soaking bin" last night with oxiclean... All labels are now floating and the glue wipes right off with a towel :drunk:

there are those labels out there that just refuse to come off. Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, New Belgium, Widmer, Pacifico, lagunitas labels practically slide right off with a bit o Oxy-Clean...Mammoth Brewing Bottles on the other hand, I can soak those bad boys for 3 days and the labels do not move an inch...I have to rip the labels off so that the Oxy can do its thing to the glue..:D

Oxyclean worked great for me, didn't even have to soak very long with most of them and the labels came right off!

You didn't mention with your oxiclean trial that you used hot water, but then you later said you did use hot water and another product with success. Hot water is essential for the process to work. You need to be able to soften the glue for the oxi to be able to penetrate

Just soaked a bunch of bottles outside in water/oxiclean over night and the labels fell right off. Also worked great for cleaning the inside of the bottles which have been in a warehouse for a long time. I'm on the oxi-clean bandwagon.

Is One Step and/or Easy Clean essentially the same thing? I have a couple little bottles of those and I thought I would just add to Oxi Clean bucket if its the same. Clear up storage room.

Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, New Belgium, Widmer, Pacifico, lagunitas labels practically slide right off

Agree 100%. It's so satisfying to soak a batch of the easy-label-off bottles, and return after a couple hours to see little pieces of paper floating, carefree and slippery, knowing that there was zero toil involved.

It's hard to fathom why you've had that experience with Oxi-Clean when soooo many others think it's great. I've certainly had good success with it, and not necessarily using hot water either. And it's much cheaper than that stuff you've recommended. And it's chorine free, which is a plus for some.

But hey, whatever works.

It’s never worked for me. Sierra Nevada’s are supposed to be easy, but I have to scrub ‘em off, even after overnight or more of soaking.

Hot water and a couple drops of dawn dish soap and labels come off in 5 minutes.

or wait 24 hours for oxiclean to work.

160° Water and Oxy cleaner has always worked for me minus the few craft bottles that are just so stubborn. I think a few companies use industrial strength adhesive that would hold a bumper on a pickup. Trick is when you get the water that hot, do not put your hands in it. I use an old dip tube to submerge them then let it sit for 24 hours. Labels are usually floating next day.

As everyone with hard water states, if you use oxy, you need to do a vinegar rinse to get the residue off. If you have a water softener inline, it rinses completely.

Back