Glue from hell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to remove the labels and glue from a 4-pack of bottles from Central Waters (Wisconsin brewery), apparently they've switched from paper to shiny plastic labels (which came off okay) adhered with some sort of glue that I can't seem to remove. Hot water soak, oxi, dish soap, scrub pads, dishwasher... NOTHING can remove this glue!

Any ideas on getting it off?

I've had good luck with soaking in water and a big scoop of laundry detergent. But that was when powdered detergent was common. Not so sure if the liquid or pods will do the same thing.

Also, a Brillo or SOS pad does wonders too on adhesive that's been softened by other means. It doesn't scratch the glass since most glass is harder that most steel. Don't use the green Scotch Brite, they will scratch glass. Use the blue or whatever is their non abrasive version.

Goo-Gone or Goof Off work too.

I've had good luck with soaking in water and a big scoop of laundry detergent. But that was when powdered detergent was common. Not so sure if the liquid or pods will do the same thing.
I used to do exactly that, a scoop of old fashioned "laundry powder"* in a storage tote half full of water, filled with bottles. Let them soak for a few days. Most labels floated right off, followed by a nylon brush to remove any glue remnants.

* You can still buy it, stores in "poorer" neighborhoods usually have/had it. Also washing soda, which is the main component in laundry powder, and the same as Oxiclean, alas, without (overrated) oxygen.

Only thing around the house (well besides gasoline in the garage) is nail polish remover. I poured a little on a rough sponge and started scrubbing. After getting dizzy from the fumes, there was a slight lessening of the glue, but doesn't seem worth the effort. Just gonna toss these in the recycle bin. 🙁

Breckenridge brewery uses similar vinyl labels. I peel the labels off, then use lacquer thinner outside, then wash all the bottles with hot water and original blue Dawn dish soap.

Goo-Gone will eventually work, but takes longer and requires a little more elbow grease.

I use charcoal lighter fluid. Sometimes you can scrape most of the glue off by filling the bottle with hot water, then scraping with a razor blade. (the more you get off before using a solvent, the less sticky mess you'll make)

Only thing around the house (well besides gasoline in the garage) is nail polish remover. I poured a little on a rough sponge and started scrubbing. After getting dizzy from the fumes, there was a slight lessening of the glue, but doesn't seem worth the effort. Just gonna toss these in the recycle bin. 🙁
I agree that tossing them is the best bet.

I tried a few things around the house when I was desperate for bottles and found that Mineral Spirits (Odorless) worked well for removing stubborn adhesive (where I think Odorless = "less odor" as it still has noticeable odor and fumes). As I recall, I tried 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and it did not work.

When I was bottling I quickly learned some bottles were not worth the effort. Specifically, Magic Hat was using a solvent based adhesive that gripped like death. Meanwhile if I just looked cross eyed at a Sam Adams long neck the label would nearly fall off on its own 😁 Winner, Sammy...

Cheers!

I soak in oxiclean for a day or so. Most paper labels just fall off, but the plastic ones come of with a razor blade and goo gone takes care of any residual glue. Haven't had a bottle that wasn't worth the effort yet.

Last edited:
Meanwhile if I just looked cross eyed at a Sam Adams long neck the label would nearly fall off on its own
New Belgium labels typically come right off with a soak in hot water. A little touch up with a mild scotch brite pad to remove any lingering adhesive and Bob’s your uncle.

Orange solvent works great, organic and very good for all kinds of glues stains etc.

Trade name here is De Solv it just spray it on and then rub with scotch pad and the glue is gone.

When I was bottling I quickly learned some bottles were not worth the effort. Specifically, Magic Hat was using a solvent based adhesive that gripped like death. Meanwhile if I just looked cross eyed at a Sam Adams long neck the label would nearly fall off on its own 😁 Winner, Sammy...

Cheers!
Harpoon were always good too. Must be something about Boston!

My Belgian neighbor imports a lot of beer, and I keep the bottles for quads etc. I've had 100% luck with those labels.

Harpoon were always good too. Must be something about Boston!

My Belgian neighbor imports a lot of beer, and I keep the bottles for quads etc. I've had 100% luck with those labels.
Ask your neighbour to import some Pannepot from Brewery de Struisse and I'd be interested to know what it tastes like. Unusual yeast and meant to be very good.

Cheers!

Many of the European bottles drop their labels easily. Found out years ago when I put a bunch of German beers in a cooler with ice. All the labels were at the bottom. I'm passing around bottles of mystery beer to friends. ;)

depends if you really need the label off for particular reason. had some bomber bottles that were just a pain. carb cleaner took the gum off. after that just left the labels on wasn't worth the hassle.

I just avoid bottles with those type of labels/glue, too much work. As someone mentioned above, I save the European bottles, soak in oxyclean, and then scotch pad anything left.

The way things are going with canned beer, some day there may not be much beer sold in glass bottles. While cans have many advantages, it kind of sucks for anyone trying to amass a collection of bottles for brewing.

The bottles I am seeing are thinner and lighter than before. Same for those new bottles sold by the case at the LHBS.

When I was starting out in homebrewing, sometimes my beer choice at the store was influenced by the bottles it came in. Or at least, the bottles would be the tie-breaker between a couple selections.

My Wife likes Chimay, LaChouffe, and Duval, all those bottles are great. I also buy some of the larger German bottles/Singles that work great.

My Wife likes Chimay, LaChouffe, and Duval, all those bottles are great. I also buy some of the larger German bottles/Singles that work great.

Yeah, I'd love to get my grubby hands on a couple hundred Belgian stubbies, but I'd go broke (and happy) drinking all those beers.

The German half liter bottles are built like tanks.

Last edited:
The way things are going with canned beer, some day there may not be much beer sold in glass bottles.
Tru dat.
Since I started kegging, I bottle very little. I do still bottle the entire batch of ApfelWein whenever I make it. It is simply too dangerous to have in a keg. But more and more, cans are taking over bottles.

I do still bottle the entire batch of ApfelWein whenever I make it.

I have a bunch of clear, 7 oz pop-top bottles for Apfelwein and hard cider. They're from Fever Tree tonic. I've saved up a ton of those over the past few years. (Yeah, I like my G&T in the summer.) The labels come off easily, but they're foil, so they make kind of a mess.

51XdEkkxvIL._SL1000_.jpg

Yeah, I'd love to get my grubby hands on a couple hundred Belgian stubbies, but I'd go broke drinking all those beers.

The German half liter bottles are built like tanks.
I agree. I like to bottle my Belgians at 3+ volumes in thicker bottles. I was getting a decent amount on hand, then started getting more into competitions and started having to back fill for the ones sent out. I do have about a case of 0.5L German bottles.

One of my favorite sources of "Belgian" bottles these days are Ayinger beers. I brew Belgians, so I don't have a lot of desire to spend $18 on 4 packs of Saision, Trippel, etc. I don't brew German beers, so grabbing a 4 pack of Celebrator, Dunkel, Marzen, or Pils fills that opening and helps replenish my supply of thick 0.3L bottles.

I have noticed more and more, even German and Belgian beers are packaged in cans. As much as I used to be anti-can, I find it is much more likely to get a fresh import (or IPA) in a can vs a bottle. Better keep stocking up on bottles while they still exist!!

I just soak mine in pbw and most of the time labels fall off. I’ve learned that some that don’t fall off just aren’t worth the effort.

Also pay attention to the top of the neck where the cap goes on. There are different kinds and some are not worth keeping because of this. Look at a Sierra Nevada bottle for example. These have the right top that allows you to put on a cap with a capper. Then look at a Lagunitas bottle. The top of that doesn’t provide any grip for your capper and my old bench capper won’t even properly seal these.

IMG_2948.jpeg

^^^^^^^
This is what the top of the bottle should look like. If it doesn’t look like this, throw it away and if you plan to re-use bottles don’t buy that brand again.

IMG_1181.jpeg

^^^^
Throw any away that look like this

Last edited:
Some of those have corks in the bigger sizes and you’re not going to be able to re-use those unless you have the right kind of corking machine to do a mushroom cork.

Cheers!
Sam Adams bottles are great, I have quite a few of those myself. Just keep in mind you’re not supposed to use those if you plan to enter your beer in any competitions. That said, when I used to judge we’d see them all the time.

...unless you have a bench capper, rather than the red wing capper we all started with
IMG_2949.jpeg

I have this one. I really like it, it does a great job. I have 2 old bench cappers one of those is an antique. I prefer this capper, its very easy to use and does a great job.

Trying to remove the labels and glue from a 4-pack of bottles from Central Waters (Wisconsin brewery), apparently they've switched from paper to shiny plastic labels (which came off okay) adhered with some sort of glue that I can't seem to remove. Hot water soak, oxi, dish soap, scrub pads, dishwasher... NOTHING can remove this glue!

Any ideas on getting it off?
Try soaking in hot water solution with PBW or One-Step for about an hour. I have found that that does help break down most label adhesive.

Some of those have corks in the bigger sizes and you’re not going to be able to re-use those unless you have the right kind of corking machine to do a mushroom cork.
Most champagne-style bottles take a 29mm cap. Needs a different bell on the capper, too. The red plastic cappers have reversible metal side tabs for champagne bottles.

Most champagne-style bottles take a 29mm cap. Needs a different bell on the capper, too. The red plastic cappers have reversible metal side tabs for champagne bottles.
The Emily capper you mention does have the metal wings that need adjusting as well as the larger bell. I find it works very well on the champagne bottles.

The Emily capper you mention does have the metal wings that need adjusting as well as the larger bell. I find it works very well on the champagne bottles.
I broke down and bought a second one because the wings are hard to flip. Saves me literally 60 seconds of cursing at unsafe screwdriver practices. I love gifting champagne bottles of homebrew with little labels.

Back