Columbus/Glacier combination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
I've been tossing around ideas for my next IPA and I think I've decided on a Columbus/Glacier hop combination. I like the thought of an IPA with earthy, spicy hop character with a bit of citrus in the background. I was just curious if anyone has used these hops together, or done a single hop brew with either of these hops, and can give me some firsthand insight on what to expect.

I've been tossing around ideas for my next IPA and I think I've decided on a Columbus/Glacier hop combination. I like the thought of an IPA with earthy, spicy hop character with a bit of citrus in the background. I was just curious if anyone has used these hops together, or done a single hop brew with either of these hops, and can give me some firsthand insight on what to expect.

I've done a single hop Columbus ipa which I really liked. I've never used Glacier by itself, but there are a few single hop Glacier ipas out there. Harpoon does a wet hop and I believe Sly Fox did one for their IPA project. I think they'd work well together.

:mug:

I don't know about Columbus, but I did a Cascade/Glacier (both homegrown) fresh hop IPA with 10 and 5 min. additions (eq. to ~1 oz dried) and then dry hopped with 1 oz of each (now dried). It's not bad. It isn't very exciting though. I think the Glacier is overpowering the Cascade a bit. More of the earthy with a little spice is coming through. The Cascade seems like a background player.

Back