Accidental NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to try a variation in my simple, tried-and-true IPA. I substituted Imperial Juice A38 for my usual Imperial Flagship A07. But then I also subbed some Motueka into the Mosaic dry hop charge. (My process is pretty consistent. And yes, I know that the best experiment would be to change only one thing😳)

I'm wondering whether y'all can tell me which change is responsible for the major haziness (the usual is very clear), and the slightly sweeter character.

Also, whether either change explains the CO2 breakout in my beer line, slowing flow because foam.

Thanks for any insight you might offer.

My bet is mostly on the yeast. Juice is a fast flocculator, so it mostly gets out of the way before dry hopping. Thus hop oils are mostly not sticking to yeast cells, and not getting dragged down by the yeast.

Weird, because A07 is supposedly less floccing that Juice, according to Imperial. Maybe Motueka oils stay in suspension better than Mosaic? I've made NEIPAs with Mosaic only and they cleared much faster than say Citra or Galaxy.

Weird, because A07 is supposedly less floccing that Juice, according to Imperial. Maybe Motueka oils stay in suspension better than Mosaic?

Yes, A07 is definitely a slower floccer than Juice. Which is why I say that Juice makes a hazier IPA. The haze in a NEIPA is not yeast haze.

Yes, A07 is definitely a slower floccer than Juice. Which is why I say that Juice makes a hazier IPA. The haze in a NEIPA is not yeast haze.
That doesn't make sense. If it floccs less, you'd expect a hazier beer, at first. OP said his A07 is clear and his Juice beer is hazier than normal.

That doesn't make sense. If it floccs less, you'd expect a hazier beer, at first. OP said his A07 is clear and his Juice beer is hazier than normal.

If by "at first," you mean before yeast flocculation is done, before the beer is ready to package/drink, then I agree. But the persistent haze in NEIPAs is not yeast. What sets NEIPAs apart is high levels of proteins (mainly prolamines), polyphenols, and other hop compounds. This has been tested. Dr. John May analyzed NEIPAs (an West Coast IPAs) and found no significant amounts of yeast suspended in NEIPAs.

The Hidden Secrets of New England IPA

The whole discussion is worth a listen, but the lack of suspended yeast in hazy IPAs is specifically discussed starting at 15:30.

Last edited:
If by "at first," you mean before yeast flocculation is done, before the beer is ready to package/drink, then I agree. But the persistent haze in NEIPAs is not yeast. What sets NEIPAs apart is high levels of proteins (mainly prolamines), polyphenols, and other hop compounds. This has been tested. Dr. John May analyzed NEIPAs (an West Coast IPAs) and found no significant amounts of yeast suspended in NEIPAs.

The Hidden Secrets of New England IPA

The whole discussion is worth a listen, but the lack of suspended yeast in hazy IPAs is specifically discussed starting at 15:30.
Just trying to help the OP. My NEIPAs and haze are just fine 😏
20230415_021331.jpg

And you don't want polyphenols in your finished beer. They're pretty harsh.

And you don't want polyphenols in your finished beer. They're pretty harsh.

And yet, NEIPAs are chock full of them. It's part of the reason they are hazy. Actually, every beer has polyphenols. But NEIPAs have a lot.

Latest posts

Back