Wild Goose XPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Wild Goose XPA

xpaoj1.jpg

Like other beer purchases I've made recently, I picked this one up primarily for the bottles. I wanted to get something decent, but also in a variety pack, to sample a new brand.

Thus, I picked up Wild Goose, because it was the only sampler I saw that included a stout. The XPA will be the subject of this review. I should note that Wild Goose prides itself on the fact that they brew beers in the English tradition, which is why I'm filing this one under English pale.

Anyhow....cracking the bottle, I get a funky smell that I associate with Yuengling. The head is very unimpressive, really nonexistent. The photo above was taken right after the pour. By the time I finished with the camera, the head was basically gone.

The taste is very meh. That funky smell carries into the nose, ultimately leaving me with something very much akin to Yuengling in overall experience. This is not a good beer, in other words. Budwieser American Ale is better, and is less expensive by a fair margin. On the other side of the coin, for what you'd spend on a case of XPA (about $30), you can get a much better brew.

Wild Goose beers, as a whole, lack inspiration, but the XPA is by far the worst of the flock. Not as bad as BMC, but it's not too far off.

Overall Rating: C

Back