Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
My lovely wife bought me a keg, but I can't open it until Xmas *sigh*. I have had beer in my carboy for over 2 weeks. I dry hopped my brew last week. Can I leave it in there to age ubtil the holidays or is that too long to wait until I can put it in the keg? I didn't use a grain bag so unfortunately I can't take the hops out.

Do most people dry hop in the keg itself? I was thinking it would be nice to always have an aged carboy of beer waiting until my keg is empty. This way ill never be out of good beer. Will that system work? How long can I keep my beer in the carboy?

That is lovely. If you have another carboy you could rack it into that. I have heard dry hopping too long can leave a grassy taste. I have not experienced this taste. You could bottle it and get another batch going special just for your new toy. That way you will have beer to drink on Xmas eve.

I've dry hopped for a month or so and never had any strange tastes.
+1 to the racking into another carboy if ya got one.

Is bottling an option? I wouldn't risked prolonged exposure to dry hopping based on what I've read, and transferring to a third vessel is just another chance at oxygen exposure and/or aeration.

Are we missing a reason on why this needs to be kegged, just besides the fact that you want to use your shinny new toy? :p

No real reason to keg other than the fact that I'm feeling lazy about bottling ever since I found out about the keg. Maybe I should do one last batch in the bottles. I have another carboy, so I could do like the others have suggested, but I'm a little paranoid about oxygenating my beer. I'm about to put off another brew for the holidays so that'll be ready in time.

Don't worry about the hops. I've had beer that's sat on the hops for several months and it was very good.
I can't say that would be the case every time. It was my brother's beer and I don't know what the hops were but there were a lot! It actually mellowed by the time he bottled it.

That being said, I would probably bottle it if you want to drink it over the holidays. When you keg it, you are going to have to carbonate it.

Back