Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #921
Flipadelphia
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hello I created an account because I'm super excited to try this beer out. I read about 30 or so pages but I don't believe I saw my 3 questions answered:

1. The 6 gallons and OG this recipe calls for, is that all pre-limeade numbers? What I mean is, I should shoot for 6 gallons and the indicated OG on brew day? Or is this recipe 6 gallons after adding the limeade..meaning I should shoot for 5.75 or so gallons on brew day?

2. How does adding the limeade affect the OG? The OG in this recipe is brewday numbers I presume...but adding limeade would increase the final ABV number by a bit.

3. What is the most efficient way of adding the limeade without splashing and introducing the least amount of oxygen as possible?

Basically I'm wondering how the limeade affects the numbers I'm shooting for.

Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #922
integra93ls
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post
Hello I created an account because I'm super excited to try this beer out. I read about 30 or so pages but I don't believe I saw my 3 questions answered:

1. The 6 gallons and OG this recipe calls for, is that all pre-limeade numbers? What I mean is, I should shoot for 6 gallons and the indicated OG on brew day? Or is this recipe 6 gallons after adding the limeade..meaning I should shoot for 5.75 or so gallons on brew day?

2. How does adding the limeade affect the OG? The OG in this recipe is brewday numbers I presume...but adding limeade would increase the final ABV number by a bit.

3. What is the most efficient way of adding the limeade without splashing and introducing the least amount of oxygen as possible?

Thanks all!
1-og it after the boil before limeaid is added
2-.5% added from limeaid
3- just keep it sealed until ready to add limeaid. Peak off the top plastic after you shake it good. Then just pour slowly into fermenter. Don't worry about oxygen that much. Should be fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #923
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post

Thanks all!
6 Gallons total (includes limeade)....basically plan for 5.25 with a healthy starter and you should be good. The rest of your questions were answered in the email above mine.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #924
Flipadelphia
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks everyone I can't wait to try this. Should be great for hot weather.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #925
baulz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brewed this a couple days ago and getting ready to add the limeade, but I can't seem to buy it anywhere in Canada. There is a Target store 45min drive away but I'm not going just to check. The closest I found was limeade frozen concentrate, made by Minutemade. I assume it is close enough to Simply Limeade. Trying to decide between two options for adding it, obviously a little worried about infecting the beer.

1) Thaw the concentrate and add to carboy through a sanitized funnel.

2) Boil then cool 1.5L water, mix with the frozen concentrate in a sanitized container, then add through the funnel.

Thoughts?

Old 05-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #926
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baulz
I brewed this a couple days ago and getting ready to add the limeade, but I can't seem to buy it anywhere in Canada. There is a Target store 45min drive away but I'm not going just to check. The closest I found was limeade frozen concentrate, made by Minutemade. I assume it is close enough to Simply Limeade. Trying to decide between two options for adding it, obviously a little worried about infecting the beer.

1) Thaw the concentrate and add to carboy through a sanitized funnel.

2) Boil then cool 1.5L water, mix with the frozen concentrate in a sanitized container, then add through the funnel.

Thoughts?
I would personally go with option #2.....but be sure to cool prior to adding to wort, reason being that boiling water will raise the internal of the fermenting beer and will cause off flavors.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #927
trapae
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Slim, this might have been answered but I couldn't find it. What efficiency is your recipe calculated with? I am going to brew this soon for summer for my 3rd all grain.
Thanks, tone

Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #928
jmac17
Recipes 

bottled it about 4 days ago and did a test run tonight. This beer is really good, i threw a second one in to um...test

Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #929
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapae
Slim, this might have been answered but I couldn't find it. What efficiency is your recipe calculated with? I am going to brew this soon for summer for my 3rd all grain.
Thanks, tone
Close to 80%....but keep in mind that when I brew I don't really focus on measuring that **** anymore....I have been brewing long enough, that I can tell a successful wort, before it turns in to a beer, with very little equipment.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #930
trapae
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks, still trying to get my equipment dialed in

Quick Reply