Utrocket's Hockey keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utrocket

Reaction score
I built my keezer about a year ago but wanted to finally share some photos since I learned so much from you all during my research. I started with a Whirlpool 8.9 cu. ft. freezer. These are photos of it mostly finished. If you want to see some during the build I can put a few of those up too. This was my first woodworking project and I am really happy with the results.

You will probably catch the theme I am going for, though I do have a couple finishing touches to put on it. The red crossover will be getting a net installed to the back of it. I'd also like to collect or make some hockey themed tap handles as well. One of my ideas was to use the 4 bobble head hockey players that I have. I'll post some photos as I add the last touches.

keezer1.jpg

keezer2.jpg

keezer3.jpg

keezer4.jpg

keezer5.jpg

keezer6.jpg

I have to admit, I really like the look. What did you paint the chest freezer with to get that metal look? Also, where did the wine bottle holder on the wall come from?

That...is...AWESOME!

Thanks, appreciate it. I think I impressed myself with how it turned out.

I have to admit, I really like the look. What did you paint the chest freezer with to get that metal look? Also, where did the wine bottle holder on the wall come from?

Thanks. I actually didn't paint it. It is a stainless steel "look" laminate. These pcitures can't really do it justice. Up close in person, you can see the brushed stainless marks in the laminate (it has actual brushed texture). It does however seem to take on the surrounding colors though. For example, when there is a bright blue sky shining through the patio door, it takes on a hint of blue.

That's awesome and sharing it is incredibly well timed with the start of preseason hockey.

Agreed, thanks. I am a huge hockey fan. Been playing for 20 years. :mug:

Dude. I wanna party with YOU!

Thanks, all 4 taps will be occupied soon. At this time, only 2 beers on tap.

rsklhm10 said:
, where did the wine bottle holder on the wall come from?

I just seen those at bed bath and beyond last weekend when the wife dragged me out shopping
20 each I believe

I for one would love to see build pics. It is a very clean well executes look.

Personally i would go with pucks or stick handles for the taps. i think the stick handles with grip tape would look killer!

Jason

Here are some progress pics of the build. Some are crappy cell phone pics, but provide the idea. Also, I didn't take the most thorough amount of pics. Often I was in the groove and just kept building.

First: the project got me this new toy.
DSC06471.jpg

Getting an idea of size for the "net"/draft tower.
DSC06464.jpg

Attached the 1x8 collar with liquid nails.
DSC06381.jpg

Loaded down the top while attaching it.
62481_692201450882_30100131_37984619_3797602_n.jpg

This top design actually changed a little.
DSC06467.jpg

Built the net and checking the placement before sanding and painting:
DSC06473.jpg

4 Perlicks
33649_692201351082_30100131_37984615_5836231_n.jpg

Painted the net/tower red:
33599_692201500782_30100131_37984622_7370442_n.jpg

Access door:
33649_692201336112_30100131_37984612_6666625_n.jpg

Love temp controller:
DSC06385.jpg

Changing the top design a little and glued with TiteBond:
44934_692201570642_30100131_37984625_1232569_n.jpg

Temp controller is mounted through the collar and the outer shell. Also got the holes drilled for the net/tower.
46343_692201630522_30100131_37984629_3956260_n.jpg

Stained the oak on the top and started painting the ice. You can see the toilet flanges in the 4" holes which attach to the tower directly. You can see the molding that was added to the top versus the first couple tops photos.
56151_707708105422_30100131_38304748_5607191_o.jpg

Finished the crease and goal line:
52022_707708285062_30100131_38304756_5509176_o.jpg

Put the top back on and checking out the look with the net:
77621_707708344942_30100131_38304759_1423454_o.jpg

Added the Stainless Steel look laminate and re-installed the temp controller.
1106-165806.jpg

Forgot ive seen them there too
btw
Setup is looking good you hoser! Now get a net and throw on da game.
Thought about hockey stick tap handles?

Yep, I have several broken sticks in the garage that I am holding onto just for this reason. We'll see how it turns out. I have a few different ideas.

I for one would love to see build pics. It is a very clean well executes look.

Personally i would go with pucks or stick handles for the taps. i think the stick handles with grip tape would look killer!

Jason

I'll make the hockey sticks and see how they work out. My idea with the pucks is to paint one side with chalkboard paint so I could write the name of the beer.

For fun, I attached one of the hockey player bobble heads last night. It is pretty funny watching the head bobble around when pouring a beer.

That looks beautiful! I do foresee a problem with heat build-up though. The freezer looses heat from the refrigeration process through its metal skin. If you've covered the outside with plywood, the heat will not be able to escape.

I have a couple of glaring issues to point out that could make or break your keezer:

First, is that net built with respect to the NHL's new shallower dimensions ? And second, where is the new 'verification line' ? I could forgive you if this was an older build, but being a new build it should be built to the latest specifications. Please don't tell me you're going to be using coloured WHA pucks for the tap handles. I'm afraid you're just courting controversy here; a dispute over the legality of the net could arise at a very inopportune time. I hope you have Brendan Shannahan and the War Room in Toronto on speed dial for any possible video reviews.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376179

And sorry to post a link to such an insignificant game. And by 'insignificant', I don't mean pre-season, but the fact that it's between the Leafs and Sens.
(Oops, sorry. Wrong thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/equally-obnoxious-hockey-trash-talk-thread-eh-213961/index210.html).

That looks beautiful! I do foresee a problem with heat build-up though. The freezer looses heat from the refrigeration process through its metal skin. If you've covered the outside with plywood, the heat will not be able to escape.

Valid point. I do not have a photo of it but the plywood shell is only 3 sided. The rear is wide open. Plenty of ventilation. :mug:

I have a couple of glaring issues to point out that could make or break your keezer:

First, is that net built with respect to the NHL's new shallower dimensions ? And second, where is the new 'verification line' ? I could forgive you if this was an older build, but being a new build it should be built to the latest specifications. Please don't tell me you're going to be using coloured WHA pucks for the tap handles. I'm afraid you're just courting controversy here; a dispute over the legality of the net could arise at a very inopportune time. I hope you have Brendan Shannahan and the War Room in Toronto on speed dial for any possible video reviews.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376179

And sorry to post a link to such an insignificant game. And by 'insignificant', I don't mean pre-season, but the fact that it's between the Leafs and Sens.
(Oops, sorry. Wrong thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/equally-obnoxious-hockey-trash-talk-thread-eh-213961/index210.html).

I gotta say, I got quite a laugh from this. Well done!

While I am just sharing this build, I did start it about a year ago so no new specs. Maybe in the next version :)

Valid point. I do not have a photo of it but the plywood shell is only 3 sided. The rear is wide open. Plenty of ventilation. :mug:

Unfortunately, the greatest concentration of condenser coils is on the front of the deep freezer. That's why you don't see many keezer builds that skin the outside of the unit. Here's a relevant thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/applying-panneling-sides-keezer-185322/

Yours is definitely a work of art, and I hope it serves you well!

Nice build! If you're looking for more ideas for the handles, I used hockey pucks. I cut out circles of dry erase paper and glued them on. I would think it would be easier to write something with a fine tip marker than chalk on such a small surface.

My only beef with this setup is that people don't realize that they need to grab the puck around the edges. Every time I have people over, I have to clean up the thumb prints in the middle of the tap and re-write the names. Maybe something like saran wrap would fix this?

My only beef with this setup is that people don't realize that they need to grab the puck around the edges. Every time I have people over, I have to clean up the thumb prints in the middle of the tap and re-write the names. Maybe something like saran wrap would fix this?

Grease Pen doesn't smudge as easily. plus when they get it on there hands they will learn how to correctly grab the handle.

That thing is AWESOME!!! I am officially jealous.

Can't wait for some hockey soon. Just bought tix this morning to raise the banner at Amsoil for UMD's title win in D1 College last year. Maybe our Wild can even start lighting the lamp with Heatley and Setoguchi.

Maybe I missed it but did you remove the top and are just using the wooden one or attach the wooden one you made to the freezer top?

Also how hard is it to open? I assume you have to move it away from the wall

Maybe I missed it but did you remove the top and are just using the wooden one or attach the wooden one you made to the freezer top?

Also how hard is it to open? I assume you have to move it away from the wall

I kept the freezer top and cut into it with a hole saw. I used liquid nails to attach the built wood top to the freezer top.

It is fairly heavy, though I can prop it up easily with some wood. If I need to swap a keg or change the co2 then I do need to pull it about 8-10 inches from the wall. Otherwise, getting a bottle out from the basket inside is not a big deal when against the wall. I am considering casters, though the furniture sliders I have are working pretty good on the carpet.

Back