New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Temp controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #111
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yes, I still use it, although it doesn't often get cold enough in florida to put a heater in the chest freezer (although it's all outside).

Inside the ranco is a relay. The relay has a common, to which you connect power. Then, it's arm switches between two contacts. It doesn't just "open-circuit".

So, you want to wire each of those 2 contacts to separate outlets. You only want to plug in one device (either the freezer power OR a heater) and it will just work. If you think about it you will probably figure it out.

It would work if you pluged in both devices, but there needs to be a gap in temperature where nothing happens (hysteresis) so you don't get short-cycling of the compressor and heater. It might work, but I'm not sure; I think the johnson had 3 or 5 degrees hysteresis, but maybe that's not correct.
Doh! Thanks for the reply. I should have checked back here before I ordered the Love controller. I'm sure I can find a use for the analog one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply