Will I have problems with super long primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a hazed and infuzed clone that went way too long in the primary due to out of town work. Its been in the primary for 60 days right now and will be bottled tomorrow. This beer had a few ounces of dry hops, can I expect a damaged dry hop flavor due to the long primary? Off flavors from sitting on the yeast too long? I just recently got my beers where their turning out really good, so I want to find out what kind of off flavors I may end up with so I don't mistake them for other brewing practice problems. thanks for any info.

I doubt you will experience any off-flavors from the extended 'stay' in primary. You won't have the hop flavor that beer requires, but, if you want, you can rack to secondary and add some more hops about a week or so before packaging.

thanks for the info, I doubt I will re-dry hop, the roasted barley along with whatever bitterness I'm left with will hopefully produce a decent beer. It just won't be a H&I clone anymore.

It will be just fine, things will have reduced somewhat, but not enought to make it taste bad, I have beers in long term storage for 3 years, still on the oraginal yeast.

I thought I read somewhere that if you leave your beer in primary on the yeast then when the dead yeast start to decay you can get off flavors. Not true?

I thought I read somewhere that if you leave your beer in primary on the yeast then when the dead yeast start to decay you can get off flavors. Not true?

True, but it has to sit on the yeast for months and months. Not going to happen overnight and not something that you should worry about under normal circumstances.

I think that autolysis is primarily a concern in commercial breweries that use conical fermenters. They have hundreds of barrels worth of beer pressing down onto a yeast cake that is compressed at the bottom of a cone. This pressure heats up the yeast cake in the center and basically contributes to higher death rates of the yeast. This is WAY more pressure than 5 gallons of beer is going to exert onto the cake on the bottom of a flat carboy. Under normal circumstances, you don't have to worry about anything.

How long were those dry hops in there? If they were in there for an extended period of time you'll get some grassy/vegetal flavors from them.

It can produce off flavors from sitting on the trub for too long, like other people are saying this is something you probably dont have to worry about, however i would get it off the yeast cake soon since its been on there for 60 days as it is. you should be fine

As far as the clone side of things go, I'd be willing to bet that any H&I bottle you've bought from the store has been in there at least 60 days. I'm willing to bet the beer you've got is closer to what your used to drinking rather than had you used your usual techniques.

Latest posts

Back