Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why second fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
DangerDad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why second fermentation

I'm brewing a brown ale with a 3 week fermentation and 2 week conditioning I am very new and have read quite a bit but I don't understand why I have to transfer after a week. BTW all grain with hme

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 231

You don't have to transfer at all if you don't want to. I think that a lot of recipe kits push transferring so that stores can sell more carboys.

Most will agree that you only have to transfer if racking onto fruit, wood chips, etc, or for bulk aging... and even then, you may not HAVE to transfer.

That being said, I secondary all of my beers, as I get less trub inmy bottling bucket that way. However, I never transfer earlier than 3-4 weeks. Let fermentation finish, let the beer clean up, before you do anything to it.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
sirmeowsalot
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's recommended because by transferring to a secondary you're suppose to end with a clearer end product leaving the big yeast cake behind and then having it settle some more.

I've never found it necessary and have never been disappointed with the clarity of my beers. Unless I'm adding fruit, hops, spices, etc into the beer then I wont bother with a secondary. In fact mainly for fruit, or if I'm adding extra sugars and

I don't want the yeast starting back up. It's an extra step to worry about sanitation, aeration at this point, contamination.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I only transfer to seconadary when I add fruit. I even dry hop in primary. I've never had any problems.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have about 25 brews under my belt so still consider myself new....however I've never done a secondary. It's not needed for most brews. I will be using a secondary for the first time on my next brew simply because I'll be adding fruit. But unless you're adding anything like fruit or oak chips for flavoring, I don't think it's really needed for most things.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

boscobeans Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I just leave mine in primary for 1 month, then rack on bottling day.

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I only use secondary for, as others have stated, dry hopping, fruit, or if I don't have an open keg and need a fermentor. The only thing I will note though, is that I have gotten considerably clearer beer on the first pull from the tap when I secondary then keg, as opposed to primary to keg. Still though, it's not enough of a difference to make me always secondary. If I let it sit for at least 3 weeks, before transferring to a keg, even the first couple of pulls really aren't cloudy enough that I wouldn't drink them, it's more of an esthetics issue.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I secondary pretty much everytime but only because I harvest the yeast cake and figure the sooner I can get it into the fridge and put the yeast to sleep the better.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
klindeman
Recipes 

I like doing a secondary, as others have said, because it helps clear up the beer. My first batch after only primary had an almost grainy taste to it, but all my other brews doing a secondary we're fine.

This also makes it so I can free up my primary and ferment another batch while I'm still doing secondary.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
DangerDad
Recipes 

Perfect I'm using no additions so I'm not going to transfer this one I also have clarifier tabs so now it's just about drinking it I guess :-)

Quick Reply