West Coast Blaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Liam-

Reaction score
I wanted to try and brew Jamil's West Coast Blaster tomorrow and I got all my ingredients together. When I enter them into Beersmith, I'm getting an est. OG of 1.083 but the recipe says it'll be 1.067. I'm not sure why this is the case. Should I enter my desired OG and then just follow the grain amounts that it tells me to use or should I fire ahead with the amounts that are written in the original recipe, regardless of the OG beersmith says that I'll get?

I bet the efficiency value you have entered in Beersmith is higher than the efficiency value used for the estimated OG of the recipe. I would just follow the original recipe.

It seems that efficiency value is at 72% but est. efficiency is 84% (the value that cannot be changed)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It seems that efficiency value is at 72% but est. efficiency is 84% (the value that cannot be changed)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you are brewing all grain, and making Jamil's recipe from BYO -

http://byo.com/stories/item/126-american-amber-style-profile

you want to follow his specific instructions about runoff volume and gravity.

Edit - Looks like he makes an assumption for boil off rate @ 1 gal/hour.

Back