Storing brew water over night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
Is there any advantages or disadvantages to filling your kettle with brewing water the night before you brew and leaving it over night, will it dispell oxygen and chlorine?

The chlorine will go, but you can just use a campden for that. The biggest advantage to measuring it out the night before is it one less thing to do on brew day. Also if you are making mineral adjustments I find you are a bigger solubility water 1 nights contact with the additions.

My brew day routinely starts at 5am out in the brew "barn".
Getting the water ready the night before is merely a time advantage.

I can fire up the burner, grind my grains, sip on my coffee and start the day off without heavy lifting and chance of making a mistake and getting wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I fill my brew pot the night b4...then put on stove on the lowest setting (gas stove), lid on , themometor in....the next morn I am almost at strike temp (brew in bag)...a big timesaver

I fill my brew pot the night b4...then put on stove on the lowest setting (gas stove), lid on , themometor in....the next morn I am almost at strike temp (brew in bag)...a big timesaver

This sounds scary not only is there a fire threat here leaving a gas stove on all night unsupervised but also a risk of Carbon Monoxide and plain gas poisoning.

This sounds scary not only is there a fire threat here leaving a gas stove on all night unsupervised but also a risk of Carbon Monoxide and plain gas poisoning.

Yeah........ I really see nothing safe about that idea. But anywho, yeah I'd say the biggest things with measuring water the night before is it will make brew day quicker. Plus room temp is almost always warmer than tap water temp so it would naturally warm up. Every degree helps.

- ISM NRP

Back